BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one point, I had a Mercedes Benz 400E which came with an Adaptive Driving System. [ADS] This meant the car would adapt to the driving style of the person behind the wheel. i.e. if you drove like a granny, the throttle would respond more slowly and smoothly and the transmission would shift at lower RPMs even if you buried the gas peddle. Then if you jump in the car and take it down a twisty road driving fast and hard, the throttle would start to respond more quickly and the tranny would shift at higher RPMs. [Similar to some BMWs equipped with Sport and Econo mode switch, but the car made the transition for you.] This transition could occur with in about 15 mins of changing your driving style and remain that why until you began driving differently again.

Does the e39 do the same?

I ask this because I'd swear my throttle responds more quickly and the car shifts at higher RPMs as well as downshifts more often than when I took ownership about 6 weeks ago. It feels like a completely different car. It almost feels like I installed performance software.

Then again, I've run a few bottles of Injector and Valve Cleaner, installed a K&N filter in the stock air box and used some MAF Cleaner on my…well MAF. Is it possible the car was just running poorly when I first got it and now it's running better?
:dunno:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I read somewhere on the original manual of my car and it does adapts to your style of driving...At least that's what i read on it...Anyone correct if I'm wrong...
But i think that pretty cool to know...

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it would be the same, if not better, in the later models. They probably have 498 modes now

·
Registered
676 Posts
Redshift said:
I'm pretty sure that it would be the same, if not better, in the later models. They probably have 498 modes now
According to the police officer I ran into the other day, I only am using 2 of them though. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.