BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,485 Posts
Read here: . Hopefully this prompts BMW to remove the coding that disables them for us in a future update.
Lights and headlights in the USA are closely regulated by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 as 49 CFR 571.108. 49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

The Zoomer kids may get their toy headlights, but a bill is insufficient and only the first step on a long grinding process.

The US is signatory to rationalization pact with UN-ECE

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
Lights and headlights in the USA are closely regulated by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 as 49 CFR 571.108. 49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

The Zoomer kids may get their toy headlights, but a bill is insufficient and only the first step on a long grinding process.

The US is signatory to rationalization pact with UN-ECE
This bill is long overdue to force NHTSA to get off their ass. It gives them no later than 2 years to finalize the rule update to the regulation. Since they have had it pending for years now they can just flip it.

Hopefully they do it quickly and hopefully BMW enables this for existing cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As someone who has, over the last 25+ years, been both in and around government, when I see an agency is given two years to do something, I usually expect it to take at least two years unfortunately! This seems like it should be a layup though given the existing rule that has languished.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
As someone who has, over the last 25+ years, been both in and around government, when I see an agency is given two years to do something, I usually expect it to take at least two years unfortunately! This seems like it should be a layup though given the existing rule that has languished.
Yeah, everyone was expecting these changes 5+ years ago. So at least there is a definite timeline here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The article doesn't say whether "Adaptive Headlights" also includes no-dazzle high beams. Also did you notice the new requirement for forced idle engine shutoff? There's a classic example of a solution in search of a problem. Presumably, the coding that enables adaptive headlights will also include the idle engine shutoff. If so, I'll pass and keep my existing coding.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
The article doesn't say whether "Adaptive Headlights" also includes no-dazzle high beams. Also did you notice the new requirement for forced idle engine shutoff? There's a classic example of a solution in search of a problem. Presumably, the coding that enables adaptive headlights will also include the idle engine shutoff. If so, I'll pass and keep my existing coding.
It will include anti-dazzle headlights and all the other fancy stuff we're seeing off in other countries. To what extent? We'll see if NHTSA finds a way to weaken it for us somehow. Thankfully they'll be tasked with testing headlights now too so we're not left to the IIHS as the only outfit testing headlights. Hopefully this means they'll actually care about the quality of FMVSS 108.

The Start Stop changes are likely just going to push more cars where they are already going. To Mild-Hybrid Technology. It really isn't a problem and I wouldn't avoid it personally. The Mild-Hybrid Technology is a lot like my PHEV without the plug-in portion. So you don't have the jerky engine start and stop and you don't have the "power loss" that you get from the traditional implementation. You can hit the gas and it will go immediately and kick the engine on while you're rolling instead of you having to wait for it to activate.

I'm sure there will be holdouts who still hate it, but they'll be people who hate it just for the sake of hating the electrification of cars more than the actual implementation.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,485 Posts
I'm sure there will be holdouts who still hate it, but they'll be people who hate it just for the sake of hating the electrification of cars more than the actual implementation.
US infrastructure as it is cannot sustain a significant electrification of cars. Heck, look to California and any major metropolitan area to see that electrical infrastructure cannot sustain current loads.

A microscopic example is my Island of 700 souls and 2,100 electric meters served by a new 2.5 MWe power cable from the mainland just installed. The cable is fully loaded on a cold winter night, without charging any Teslas.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
US infrastructure as it is cannot sustain a significant electrification of cars. Heck, look to California and any major metropolitan area to see that electrical infrastructure cannot sustain current loads.

A microscopic example is my Island of 700 souls and 2,100 electric meters served by a new 2.5 MWe power cable from the mainland just installed. The cable is fully loaded on a cold winter night, without charging any Teslas.
The good news is none of this is happening at once. We'll build more grid infrastructure and solve urban charging. Even if we adhere to the 2030 timeframe for all new cars we'd still have over 50% of the US car population in gas cars in 2040. Gas stations didn't all spring up at once :)

·
Premium Member
7,858 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
Once approved, I am sure BMW will offer coding for a fee...it certainly won't be free. I've already had mine coded by Amaretto, and they work pretty well. A shame it isn't standard from the get go.
I bet it will be dependent on how their competitors react. If MB, Audi, and others do it they won't want to be left out alone... I can see a lot of car makers doing it to get a leg up on showing their technology off to foster brand loyalty and interest.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Once approved, I am sure BMW will offer coding for a fee...it certainly won't be free. I've already had mine coded by Amaretto, and they work pretty well. A shame it isn't standard from the get go.
Al coded mine also but I am anticipating that I will lose that coding as the CA said they were doing a software update as part of my regular maintenance.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
BMW will most certainly charge a fee. In terms of pressure from competitors and BMW feeling like they should offer it for free, no way. It's not like there is going to be a rush to the dealer on this. Most people don't know what it is in the first place or care. Just us geeks, which probably make up 10% of BMW owners with cars capable of this. Let's not over estimate the impact of this news. It's huge for us and it will be huge for new owners taking delivery with it already coded. They will think it is just BMW's cool new technology.

My AD and VLD is part of my VO, not sure how, but it was never disabled from the factory..

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
BMW will most certainly charge a fee. In terms of pressure from competitors and BMW feeling like they should offer it for free, no way. It's not like there is going to be a rush to the dealer on this. Most people don't know what it is in the first place or care. Just us geeks, which probably make up 10% of BMW owners with cars capable of this. Let's not over estimate the impact of this news. It's huge for us and it will be huge for new owners taking delivery with it already coded. They will think it is just BMW's cool new technology.

My AD and VLD is part of my VO, not sure how, but it was never disabled from the factory..
I won't disagree with you since I have no way of predicting the future and it is always better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

They backdated CarPlay for free to MY2019 and added AA for free to MY2020+ (on the G30) which is more than they historically would do from what I've gathered here on the forums. So it is possible. Though as I said earlier, I'm not willing to disagree with you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This one could go either way. The capability is in the vehicles for sure; software is added to disable it, as others have noted. But, BMW is also looking at a model of selling capabilities like that which are software based, so this might well fit into that model.

In any event, I’d pay for it on both of my BMWs if I had to.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I won't disagree with you since I have no way of predicting the future and it is always better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

They backdated CarPlay for free to MY2019 and added AA for free to MY2020+ (on the G30) which is more than they historically would do from what I've gathered here on the forums. So it is possible. Though as I said earlier, I'm not willing to disagree with you.
I hope they do, don’t get me wrong and I’m not trying to debate with you, I just think it may be viewed as a nice to have for owners by dealers and I can see them charging $100 or so to enable it. I think the ask will be limited which may make it easier for them to charge vs a lot of people making a stink about it.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
This one could go either way. The capability is in the vehicles for sure; software is added to disable it, as others have noted. But, BMW is also looking at a model of selling capabilities like that which are software based, so this might well fit into that model.

In any event, I’d pay for it on both of my BMWs if I had to.
Me too. I definitely can see it as add on for a fee in My BMW.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eventually you’re going to see options like this as in vehicle purchases through iDrive. It’s already there with strictly software features, but they are moving this way on features that would be considered options which can be enabled by software.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Eventually you’re going to see options like this as in vehicle purchases through iDrive. It’s already there with strictly software features, but they are moving this way on features that would be considered options which can be enabled by software.
I’d much rather pay BMW for “coding” that will become part of my VO and not overwritten. The convenience of pressing a button in iDrive sure as hell would be a lot easier than locking in a coder with a 12-hour tine difference.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
I hope they do, don’t get me wrong and I’m not trying to debate with you, I just think it may be viewed as a nice to have for owners by dealers and I can see them charging $100 or so to enable it. I think the ask will be limited which may make it easier for them to charge vs a lot of people making a stink about it.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
Would probably end up along those lines. Cars without RSU would need a paid dealership upgrade. Those with RSU may get it for free.

As no way BMW will want to pay the dealerships to install it. They don’t seem that generous.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts