BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 335i with zenon headlights. I think they are called adaptive steering or something like that but they move with the steering wheel.

Recently I was pulling into a convenience store and could see the headlinghts reflected in the store window as I pulled in. The wheel was cranked almost all the way to one side and I noticed that that side's high beam (the "inner" light of the pair) was lit. When I straighted the wheel, I turned off.

I thought the adaptive headlights just moved side to side. Are they intended to light up the high beam on one side as well?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,215 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! Thanks!

That seems like a lot of extra hardware for a relatively minor feature. Is this BMW's way of justifying the iconic two-bulb headlights even though they are not needed with zenons?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,215 Posts
Ah! Thanks!

That seems like a lot of extra hardware for a relatively minor feature. Is this BMW's way of justifying the iconic two-bulb headlights even though they are not needed with zenons?
i believe they are still used for daytime flash to pass...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i believe they are still used for daytime flash to pass...
No, the xenons with the shutter in high-beam mode are used for flash-to-pass.

The inner lights are only used as the cornering lights now, the OP is correct that they are likely there to maintain the iconic four headlight look as they are otherwise no longer needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.