Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this once before and already had a service appointment scheduled so they just took care of it then. I have an appointment for my last free oil change scheduled for this Friday.

Do you think it's safe to leave it until then or do I need to do something now? If the latter, what do I need to get to top off? I recall that BMW does not recommend regular antifreeze you would get at a gas station.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
Why wait when it's easy to do yourself. The 1 Liter size (part # BMW 82-14-2-209-769) is great for topping off. This is Genuine BMW engine coolant, identical to the coolant you would get at a BMW dealer. It is phosphate-free to provide greater protection and longer life for cooling system components. Mix 50/50 with distilled water before using.

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got that warning a couple of months ago. They just topped it off in the service 'pull-up' area while I waited. If you live close enough that may be an option.

Covered maintenance should last three years. Why is this your last free oil change?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Low Coolant "alert"

I got this once before and already had a service appointment scheduled so they just took care of it then. I have an appointment for my last free oil change scheduled for this Friday.

Do you think it's safe to leave it until then or do I need to do something now? If the latter, what do I need to get to top off? I recall that BMW does not recommend regular antifreeze you would get at a gas station.

I would NOT add any run of mill coolant and it's probably safe to drive your car for a few days until Friday's scheduled service. HOWEVER, I recommend you inspect your coolant level when your car is cool (from not driving) and maybe even take a phone-pic of the inside of the tank to show your service advisor. And when you do go in for service ask them to perform a thorough cooling system inspection (esp while you're still covered in warranty!).

On the other hand IF you're planning a 500 mile trip between now and then IF I were you I'd have my dealer top it off now. You might even ask your service advisor to "give" you a container of BMW pre-mixed coolant to keep handy should the level drop again.

I too had low-coolant alerts soon after buying my '17 540xDrive and my dealer topped it off. It's been more than a year since then and no alerts (of any kind). And we've had some wild temperature swings the past few months too!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got that warning a couple of months ago. They just topped it off in the service 'pull-up' area while I waited. If you live close enough that may be an option.

Covered maintenance should last three years. Why is this your last free oil change?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app
I'm coming up on 36,000 miles. Isn't it three years OR 36k?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: After we had lunch and I started the car up again the alert was gone. It's very cold here (mid teens) so I'm thinking it has something to do with the cold weather. I'll probably wait until Friday and ask the BMW folks to give it a good going over.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
Did you take the cap off of the coolant reservoir to see the position of the float level inside?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We just got this notification again for the 2nd time since owning the car, each instance just shy of a year apart. Drove up to the dealer to be replenished, and they put a fair amount in. Coincidentally perhaps, but both times it was a day when the temperatures were quite low (for this area) ..upper 50***8217;s. We already have an appt for an oil change tomorrow and have added this to be checked out as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There are 2 reservoirs, I believe. I got the low coolant message back in September and had SA top off. No message since then, today it is 10F.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,040 Posts
This happened to me while I was out of town, on a Saturday, where the BMW dealer service & parts department was closed, and their sales department refused to sell me the OEM coolant because the parts department was locked. Roadside wanted to tow my car 150 miles away. The whole scenario was idiotic. I went to Autozone and bought the Euro Blue coolant and topped it off. This car is leased so BMW can suck an egg of that's not good enough. That reminds me, I forgot to call BMW NA and complain about the dealer being unwilling to sell me coolant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the mechanical geniuses out there pardon my ignorance… I’m surprised that a low coolant level notice would be a common issue. Are the high-low tolerances that close? I thought the radiator system was a “closed” system and coolant would only be lost if the engine overheated. Is there a leak somewhere?

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,040 Posts
For the mechanical geniuses out there pardon my ignorance… I’m surprised that a low coolant level notice would be a common issue. Are the high-low tolerances that close? I thought the radiator system was a “closed” system and coolant would only be lost if the engine overheated. Is there a leak somewhere?

It's surprisingly common in the B58 Inline 6. There are a ton of threads here about it including a discussion about a recall of under-filled VIN's.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well, seems to me that if the system is losing coolant then there's a leak. What else could explain it? A sealed cooling system shouldn't lose any coolant and I've never had another car that did. It's anyone's guess where it's going. This is my fourth 5 Series and none of the previous ones lost any coolant at all, ever. In saying this I am not counting the catastrophic cooling system failure on my 2001 530i Sport. It never leaked, then suddenly it blew up at 70 MPH. Great fun. After it was repaired it didn't lose coolant.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had low coolant light come on 4 times within 10000kms. Dealer topped up each time. I really didn't hear any valid reasoning behind it.

·
Serial Leasee
843 Posts
I normally deal with the small amount of "top-off" with distilled water. Not worried about the dilution since the amount added to the reservoir is immaterial

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Service coverage vs 5 & 50 "warranty"

I'm coming up on 36,000 miles. Isn't it three years OR 36k?

IMHO the correction of issues related to coolant or any fluid loss is NOT a scheduled maintenance coverage but instead covered under the 4 year / 50,000mi manufacturer's warranty.

When this alert occurred in my '17 540xDrive I was 'told' a number of things including the coolant was 'burned' off by the turbo. I chose not to get into a debate with my dealer service tech - choosing instead to shake my head and make a note of the explanation to visit at a later time if necessary!

A "low coolant alert" has NOT occurred again in the 10,000 or so miles and about one hear driven since coolant was topped off. I suspect the initial loss alert was a result of trapped air in the system that 'worked out' in the first 3-4 months / 3000-4000 miles of driving.

Should anyone with a G30 have to regularly add coolant to their BMW a more thorough inspection is REQUIRED - IT IS NOT NORMAL!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Car went to the dealer today. They suggested it was air in the system that needed to be bled....we***8217;ll see!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem and the mechanic did a pressure testing. No leak was found. If the turbo is burning off the coolant then only the smaller tank in the left should loose fluid. It does not make sense why the larger tank in fact looses more coolant than the smaller one.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Low Coolant Alert - it's been a year BUT!

IMHO the correction of issues related to coolant or any fluid loss is NOT a scheduled maintenance coverage but instead covered under the 4 year / 50,000mi manufacturer's warranty.

When this alert occurred in my '17 540xDrive I was 'told' a number of things including the coolant was 'burned' off by the turbo. I chose not to get into a debate with my dealer service tech - choosing instead to shake my head and make a note of the explanation to visit at a later time if necessary!

A "low coolant alert" has NOT occurred again in the 10,000 or so miles and about one hear driven since coolant was topped off. I suspect the initial loss alert was a result of trapped air in the system that 'worked out' in the first 3-4 months / 3000-4000 miles of driving.

Should anyone with a G30 have to regularly add coolant to their BMW a more thorough inspection is REQUIRED - IT IS NOT NORMAL!
I'm sure it had something to do with the extreme cold overnight temps (5 - 9 degrees F) but when I retrieved my car from the airport parking garage where it had been parked for 4 days I was greeted with "LOW COOLANT - Drive to BMW Service ... etc etc"; I drove off the airport property and 3-4 miles to stop for some food. When I returned to the car it started normally with "no alerts". Initially after starting the car I did detect a coolant "smell". Didn't have the time to do an under-hood inspection. Drove the 35 miles home and parked it in my garage (slightly warmer than the airport) and will check the coolant level in the tank later today and take some pics to document coolant level. I'm scheduled for annual service this month (@16,000 miles) and will have my dealer do a more thorough inspection on the cooling system. No such indications on my wife's '13 X1 3.5 ... but it was driven occasionally during the time I was away and my car was parked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts