BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So i just bought my first BMW so I'm completely new to this area and apologize if i'm making a beginner's mistake. :). Now on to my question. The car I bought is a 2016 528i and it didn't come with a backup cam or PDC. PDC is probably to much of a headache to add I assume, so I was mainly interested in the backup cam.

Is there a way to add a backup cam to the car. I would prefer an OEM solution and have seen the backup cam on some sites that claim they have OEM cameras.

My main concern is if the car is pre-wired or am I going to be getting into more trouble than I should.

Thanks so much for any help!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi guys! So i just bought my first BMW so I'm completely new to this area and apologize if i'm making a beginner's mistake. :). Now on to my question. The car I bought is a 2016 528i and it didn't come with a backup cam or PDC. PDC is probably to much of a headache to add I assume, so I was mainly interested in the backup cam.

Is there a way to add a backup cam to the car. I would prefer an OEM solution and have seen the backup cam on some sites that claim they have OEM cameras.

My main concern is if the car is pre-wired or am I going to be getting into more trouble than I should.

Thanks so much for any help!
The car isn't pre-wired. All needs to be retrofitted in. Not too much trouble but time consuming. If you want to pay a shop to do it, search for those that specialize in BMW. Otherwise, buy one from https://www.bimmer-tech.net/ and install it yourself but again a shop can install it for a fee.

If you are in N. California there is a shop in Fremont (Alex Shop or something). I have got mine installed there when I purchased my car. I wasn't comfortable to have installed myself at the time but would do it now if I have to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car isn't pre-wired. All needs to be retrofitted in. Not too much trouble but time consuming. If you want to pay a shop to do it, search for those that specialize in BMW. Otherwise, buy one from https://www.bimmer-tech.net/ and install it yourself but again a shop can install it for a fee.

If you are in N. California there is a shop in Fremont (Alex Shop or something). I have got mine installed there when I purchased my car. I wasn't comfortable to have installed myself at the time but would do it now if I have to.
Well at least that gets some details cleaned up for me. Thank you so much for that feedback. Is the camera on bimmer-tech an original. Does it incorporate with the nav system?
And I'm actually in So-Cal. How complicated is the wiring to DIY? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but if its too complicated I might use another shop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well at least that gets some details cleaned up for me. Thank you so much for that feedback. Is the camera on bimmer-tech an original. Does it incorporate with the nav system?
And I'm actually in So-Cal. How complicated is the wiring to DIY? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but if its too complicated I might use another shop.
It is all incorporated into a system. You wouldn't even know that it's not from a factory. Bimmer Tech guys can help you remotely and provide guidelines on how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is all incorporated into a system. You wouldn't even know that it's not from a factory. Bimmer Tech guys can help you remotely and provide guidelines on how to do it yourself.
Awesome. I'll look into it then and hopefully it works out! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts