BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal. I have a 2000 323 with power locks, but there is no keyless entry system. The locks are activated by turning the key in the driver side door. I figure it would be an easier job since all doors have power locks installed and all I would need is some kind of remote switch and key fob...any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
And you choose not to use the one that comes from the factory on the key body, why?
+1. If your key doesn't have the buttons then you don't have the right key. Dealer has em. Might find elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. The only button on the key turns on a little light so you can see where you're sticking the key. I'll drop by the dealer and see what they can do. I bought the car thinking it didn't have keyless entry. I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A cheaper alternative is buy a used BMW diamond key off eBay (but, not the newer E60 identical looking diamond keys as it is not compatible) follow the instruction in the owners manual to add a remote to your car and cut off the key blades and just use it as a remote. It means having two things on your key ring, but, it's better than paying crazy prices for a new genuine BMW master key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A cheaper alternative is buy a used BMW diamond key off eBay (but, not the newer E60 diamond key as it is not compatible) follow the instruction in the owners manual to add a remote to your car and cut off the key blade.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That is a great idea. I called the dealer and they want $225 for the key replacement. I called a local key shop that can do BMW keys and they want $175. I'm seeing these keys on ebay for around 65 bucks. Thanks a lot for your input its very helpful.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably should have. But I did get a BMW key, with controls. Before I only had one key, so now I'm complete with two. But here's the kicker, the new key directly from BMW does not have a rear cover...I'm a little bothered by this. A key with entry controls at that price should be complete. Kinda feeling a little taken by BMW. Anyone know where I can get one? I'm sure BMW will give me the runaround and feel I should just live with it.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.