BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a factory alarm after delivery? and cost.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Do they typically pre-wire them and not put alarms in? If so how does one know it is pre-wired or not?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you can know by your build date. There was a short time in 09 that they did not pre-wire them. Of course mine was built at that time :(

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
From what dates should it be? I do not know the date offhand but certainly would hope I could find that at home or on the car somewhere(?)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Thanks, more I think about it I think my car is a very early 2009 build simply because the inspection sticker is dated from January of 2009. I will have to ask the dealer whenever I make it there next.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you go to the dealer and look at the brochure for the Alarm in the description it says good before XX date. That is when they were no longer pre-wired.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Thanks, my wife had been asking just recently what that red light is for and I mentioned that the manual made mentions of it being used when you have a factory alarm. She was a little surprised the car lacked one, just assumed all new cars came with them. Might just let her handle going down there to find out, I am kind of the opinion that if someone wants the car or something in it that an alarm is not going to stop them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I tend to agree with that HOWEVER having a Security background with alarms and all I have to say the every deterant is a good one. Even if it does not do a complete job.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I do wonder why the red light is there though if the car lacks the alarm. Come to think of it, that thing is the first thing someone asks about when they get into the car for the first time.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Just tell them it is part of the alarm. True. and they will assume you have an alarm. what is the loss? If they inquire further tell them it goes off when the alarm does to attract attention. They will never know the difference.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
I think they stopped the pre-wiring for alarms 3/09 build dates and after. I have an 09, but my car was built 11/08, so it comes pre-wired for an alarm!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
I am not entirely sure that is why i did not say but I THINK it was from March 2009 - MY 2010.
Thanks, more I think about it I think my car is a very early 2009 build simply because the inspection sticker is dated from January of 2009. I will have to ask the dealer whenever I make it there next.
BMW stopped pre-wiring 3ers with March '09 production. February 2009 was the last month that 3ers were pre-wired.

Prior to this change they had always pre-wired (at least E46's & E9x's) 3ers for the alarm. However, almost no one ever installed the alarm (or had it installed), so it really was a money waster for BMW. Now the alarm is a factory option and if it isn't ordered from the factory it cannot be installed later. Of all BMW's recent cost cutting moves I think this one was the wisest.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
But can you get an aftermarket alarm installed?

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
BMW stopped pre-wiring 3ers with March '09 production. February 2009 was the last month that 3ers were pre-wired.

Prior to this change they had always pre-wired (at least E46's & E9x's) 3ers for the alarm. However, almost no one ever installed the alarm (or had it installed), so it really was a money waster for BMW. Now the alarm is a factory option and if it isn't ordered from the factory it cannot be installed later. Of all BMW's recent cost cutting moves I think this one was the wisest.
I don't think this is true. I would say that about 75% of the posters on this board have ht alarm, and everybody I know how owns an E9x (and I know quite a few) opted for the alarm. It is a common dealer installed option.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts