Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new here so please indulge my uber stupid. I am helping a friend put an Oil Cooler from E34 M5 on his 1994 540ia. The main question I have is about supply and return lines. The M5's were I6 engines that used a block mounted oil filter housing with ports for the oil cooler, the 540 4Liter V8 has a front mounted remote oil filter housing that has 3 lines and a plug that is to the left of the 3rd (steel) line. I am a E30/E36 owner so my knowledge is related to the M20 and M50 motors mostly. It appears that the 2 larger lines are supply and return to and from the engine, while the 3rd line may be a pressure relief back to the engine/ oil pan. If anyone has done this mod. or knows of a site or blog regarding this improvement please share. Just some additional info this car has an aftermarket oversized radiator and the engine fan on the water pump is removed, car has 180k and climbing and is mostly a weekend track warrior. My thanks in advance to any and all replies.

·
Yaofeng
296 Posts
The 540 oil cooler (for the auto transmission) is mounted below the transmission. There are no oil lines sticking out. The only lines visible are the coolant lines from the oil cooler to the rear of the engine. See pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine Oil Cooler for 1994 540i

Thanks for the post but I'm not doing a tranny cooler, rather an engine Oil Cooler. The factory didn't have an OEM unit on this motor in 1994 so I want to fab./ custom install a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JonniE30

1 - 3 of 3 Posts