BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Adding Sirius/XM to a 645

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  balkanvt 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a pretty lightly used 2004 645 (with only 30k miles) that I had found at the local dealership during my typical "drive through the BMW/Audi/Merc dealers to see if there are any impulse buys available" weekend routine. I'm a former Audi fanatic who, now after owning the 6, has thoroughly jumped on the BMW bandwagon. All in all, I'm very impressed with the car, especially considering its age.

I have had multiple SUVs over the past few years for various reasons but decided that... if my job is going to make me miserable for 10 hours per day, I might as well be happy for 30 mins of it -- and I bought the car. I have not regretted it a bit.

I've been very happy with the purchase thus far, but due to it being an 04, there are a few things its missing -- mostly in the entertainment area. I have read a few things here and there about the IPOD integration option and updates for MP3 CD capabilities that might be available, however, our dealer claims there's no update available for my 2004 to enable MP3 capability, nor a part available to add an aux port to the system or IPOD integration. They keep claiming my car is too old for any of those options. From what I was reading on the forums, at least the MP3 CD option should be available in "ANY" 2004 or newer 6 series?

My main objective here is to get Sirius or XM added which I was planning on possibly plugging in via the aux input so I don't have to rely on the poor quality of modulated FM signal. Reading through the forums I saw mention of some people replacing the CD changer with a module that will allow input from an external audio source as well? Is this possible? I don't really own many CD's anymore, nor mp3s for that matter, and I like the convenience of satellite, so I'd definitely trade my changer out for satellite in a heartbeat.

If anyone has any other options for me, or a way for me to get my dealer to search for some of these updates or parts that I've requested since they cant find any, I'd be greatful for any info you can provide. If i can just get away from my current FM modulated XM signal, I'll be ecstatic. :)

Thank you in advance, and thanks to everyone for participating in the forum and providing all the information I've found thus far -- its proven to be a great resource.

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently picked up a pretty lightly used 2004 645 (with only 30k miles) that I had found at the local dealership during my typical "drive through the BMW/Audi/Merc dealers to see if there are any impulse buys available" weekend routine. I'm a former Audi fanatic who, now after owning the 6, has thoroughly jumped on the BMW bandwagon. All in all, I'm very impressed with the car, especially considering its age.

I have had multiple SUVs over the past few years for various reasons but decided that... if my job is going to make me miserable for 10 hours per day, I might as well be happy for 30 mins of it -- and I bought the car. I have not regretted it a bit.

I've been very happy with the purchase thus far, but due to it being an 04, there are a few things its missing -- mostly in the entertainment area. I have read a few things here and there about the IPOD integration option and updates for MP3 CD capabilities that might be available, however, our dealer claims there's no update available for my 2004 to enable MP3 capability, nor a part available to add an aux port to the system or IPOD integration. They keep claiming my car is too old for any of those options. From what I was reading on the forums, at least the MP3 CD option should be available in "ANY" 2004 or newer 6 series?

My main objective here is to get Sirius or XM added which I was planning on possibly plugging in via the aux input so I don't have to rely on the poor quality of modulated FM signal. Reading through the forums I saw mention of some people replacing the CD changer with a module that will allow input from an external audio source as well? Is this possible? I don't really own many CD's anymore, nor mp3s for that matter, and I like the convenience of satellite, so I'd definitely trade my changer out for satellite in a heartbeat.

If anyone has any other options for me, or a way for me to get my dealer to search for some of these updates or parts that I've requested since they cant find any, I'd be greatful for any info you can provide. If i can just get away from my current FM modulated XM signal, I'll be ecstatic. :)

Thank you in advance, and thanks to everyone for participating in the forum and providing all the information I've found thus far -- its proven to be a great resource.
XM is possible with the mObridge kit, however it's very expensive ($750). The better option may be with Sirius instead from BMW.

If you are in need of a package, let me know and I will be happy to get you set up.

#3 ·
Yeah for that high of a cost (mObridge @ $750), I'd rather go with a separate tuner and just interface with the deck via an auxiliary input if one is available. Today there's an XM tuner in the car that's using an FM modulator and sounds awful because of it. The idea of having it integrated with the i-drive is very appealing, but not $750 appealing... :)

I would prefer Sirius to XM due to my having Sirius in other vehicles already and I could have it on the same bill at least.

When you say a kit, do you mean an auxiliary input kit or a kit to fully integrate sirius into the i-drive system like the mobridge does?

#4 ·
Yeah for that high of a cost (mObridge @ $750), I'd rather go with a separate tuner and just interface with the deck via an auxiliary input if one is available. Today there's an XM tuner in the car that's using an FM modulator and sounds awful because of it. The idea of having it integrated with the i-drive is very appealing, but not $750 appealing... :)

I would prefer Sirius to XM due to my having Sirius in other vehicles already and I could have it on the same bill at least.

When you say a kit, do you mean an auxiliary input kit or a kit to fully integrate sirius into the i-drive system like the mobridge does?
I mean full integration, meaning text display and radio/steering wheel control.

#7 ·
Excellent. Exactly what I was hoping for. Why my BMW dealer tells me theres no such thing is beyond me but... probably the same reason they have been telling me most things are unavailable for my car... including any update what-so-ever to my i-drive system.

Slightly frustrating, but I guess if I have to find the info and bring it to them, so be it. :)

Thanks for the responses, they are appreciated. One way or the other, I'll have what I was hoping for very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.