BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

We'll be driving in less-than-secure areas south of the border over the next two years, and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to get some additional security for my OEM-made rack and roof box.

Ours is a 2013 X3 with factory roof rails, BMW roof rack with locks, and a BMW roof box 460 also with locks.

The locks that come with the box, in particular, seem a bit flimsy, as though one could break through them with a sturdy screwdriver and hammer. I have similar concerns regarding the EOM rack--in fact, I was able to use a key to something else (Thule bike rack) to open the roof box, for example.

Other than removing the rack and box (which we'll do when possible), how else would you try to further secure the rails & box to deter theft? Or, is there something that can be done that gives the appearance of increased box security?

Many thanks for any ideas or personal experiences you may have had. Cross-posting this to the DIY forum as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've already got the box, so no to the new one.

And while the "biohazard tape" on amazon that your link led us to is a cute idea, it's not much of a deterrent....especially for a non-English speaking population. :)

Obviously, trying to park in well-lit, monitored locations is one thing we'll do.

Open to other theft deterrent ideas, additional lock thoughts, etc.

Best,

mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.