BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my 525 trunk emblem plate (not the BMW badge) was just hanging so pulled it off so I wouldn't lose it.

Any suggestions on what to use to remove the old adhesive off the paint and what adhesive to use to put the 525 emblem plate back on?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

· Registered
15,976 Posts
Lighter fluid is an excellent solvent. It's quite benign, but will dissolve the adhesive.

· '17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,143 Posts
Whatever "solvent (including mayo)" that you choose to use, it is recommend to use a micro fiber towel which will keep the scratching to the clear coat and/or paint to a minimum. And yes...there will always be some amount of scratching done! Follow up with a bit of polishing and wax when finished.

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those on the edge of their seat....I found a citrus based remover by Turtle Wax, $5 bucks for enough to last a couple decades. Had to spray/soak it several times, used a microfiber cloth, and the glue came off. Used the molding tape suggested by Firstbmw528. Laid the plate on several strips and carved it all out with a razor blade. Stuck it on with a level and all nice and straight. I don't have the i in 525i, guess I'll run across one someday at the junkyard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.