Bimmerfest BMW banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
BMWcoholic
388 Posts
As you are a young and evidently responsible person in a fortunate position, consider a few suggestions:

1) If your father can afford a 330, he can afford to send you to BMW's performance driving school. If not that, then please attend something similar. BMWNA sponsors car handling clinics for younger drivers.

2) Join the BMW CCA and attend local driver training events. Find a good mentor and learn how to navigate an auto-x course.

3) Read Roundel (which you will receive due to following #2 above.) From this you will learn more than can be summarized in one post.

4) Show leadership in your decisions: Elect to not carry more than one peer-aged passenger at a time. Avoid transporting friends of friends, particularly after dark. You don't ever need to show off your skills to anyone your age. Just because you will have 'wheels', does not obligate you to do anything that a friend asks. Opportunity and responsibility come together.

You are very fortunate, so use good judgement in your decisions. Many of us lost very close friends in avoidable accidents at an age close to yours.

Lastly, get lots of pictures of your car when it is new. Some day you will want to remember your first car and how much fun it was.

Ausgang
+1

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ooops.. sorry about that. I have no idea why I saw the thread. Clearly I thought it was new.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow reading this thread really brings back memory! I still remember my first car, a 10 years old Toyota Corolla. Within 6 months one day I fell asleep driving on highway and crashed into a truck in front of me, without wearing seatbelt, the windshield woke me up. Miraculously I did not get hurt at all. (I was driving 80mph I believe.)
I had never gotten into a car accident after that and I always, ALWAYS, pull over to nap whenever I felt sleepy on highway.

I totally agree with an earlier comment saying that you don't become a good driver until you have driven 100k miles. There are just habits that you learn from driving, from driving across country, from driving in different countries, from living in the Midwest winter or Nevada summer. Things such as when someone 30 mph slower than you merged in front of you on highway when you don't have traction control or ABS, and there is a truck closely behind you. What are you gonna do? Well, don't get into that situation at the first place. Always get ready to shift your car to an empty lane or keep a safe distance w/ the car behind you. Or what are you going to do driving a car with no ABS or traction in 1 foot of snow? Or on highway when that giant truck is passing you by and you need to change lane but your tires are locked in the grooves made of snow?

Looking back I feel humble and grateful at the same time. Grateful to God that I am still alive and humble for the fact that I have learned so much and become a much better driver. Now finally I am making six figure salary and can afford to buy my first bimmer, the reward is so much greater, and I am far more confident about my ability to take care of it.

·
Banned
18 Posts
16 year olds are just that - 16 years old. your head is too thicke to comprehend and follow safe driving. who ever buys a 16 year old a 335 is just stupid. not stupid in the sense of money - stupid in the sense of total disregarding your life and others on the road as well. i can't complain because my parents bought me a 330 when i was 16 and that was only 5 years ago and don't get me wrong i had a lot of fun but i ****ed it up royally. if i knew what i know now i would've went with the 325 just like you should go with the 328.

sorry to be a downer but the difference between the 328 and 335 is speed and power and fact is, you just don't need that speed at 16. it's fun to have until you wrap it around a poll or run somebody over.

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
At 16 I thought I was doing good buying my first car for $750.
Problem was, insurance was $1800 a year! :yikes:

·
ANDY is always with me
1,888 Posts
My oldest is 26 and my youngest is 21. Both live in big cities and have never owned a car. When they visit home, they get to use the Altima or Camry (yes, I'm a PROUD owner of both). They realize that they are better off not having to worry about parking or paying for gas, maintenance, and insurance. 16 year olds should share a car with their siblings or mother. PERIOD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 37, and just got my 1st BMW (E93 335, same as OP). Your daddy must have a death wish for you. I consider it almost child abuse. WhenI was 16, I would have NEVER been able to handle such a fast car ( I was lucky to drive anything at all back then , used my dad's Mercury Grand Marquis, what a boat!). I wouldn't be here today if I got handed a 335 back then. 16=immature, inexperienced, and inattentive, throw in powerful car, friends in back=disaster.
A 328, maybe, but still.. My kids are young, but when the time comes, they will not be getting new bimmers for their 16th bdays, I don't care how much money I have at the time

Jason

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, since this thread has come back to life the obvious questions are ***8220;how is xxballinboi786 doing these days? And how is the car? Hopefully he is well and the car unbent.

But I suspect that the odds are not good.

·
Passionate Enthusiast
318 Posts
Wow...I wish I had a BMW when I was in high school...I would have been the messiah of popularity where I came from. Either that or at least cool enough like that guy in Pretty In Pink with his bimmer.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Oh boy, one of my favorite threads. REVIVED. :D

: popcorn:

The 335i is a wankers car. I prefer the old school Ferrari F40.

·
Nice Guy
135 Posts
Hopefully he didn't let his friends drive his car.

I never let my friends drive my car and they flip, but screw them ya know? They have jeeps.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
a new bmw for a 16 yr old? YA GOTTA BE KIDDING!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts
a new bmw for a 16 yr old? YA GOTTA BE KIDDING!
Someone replying to a 1+yr old thread? YA GOTTA BE KIDDING!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Oh boy, one of my favorite threads. REVIVED. :D

: popcorn:

The 335i is a wankers car. I prefer the old school Ferrari F40.
lol, I was waiting for you to chime in again at some point. The crown goes to andrewket for reviving this ancient beast.

I shared a 1993 Mercury Topaz with my dad. Yeah, I've come a long way :)
Oooh, that was the upscale edition of the Tempo! Truly a magnificent car for the history books. :D

999th post!!! :bigpimp:

·
Bimmerless
1,053 Posts
lol, I was waiting for you to chime in again at some point. The crown goes to andrewket for reviving this ancient beast.
I think I may be partially responsible for bringing this thread back up. :banghead: I posted this message the day before andrewket resurrected this abomination of a thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3283469&postcount=13

My sincere apologies to all if I did have a hand in bringing it back - I take full responsibility for any blame in the matter. I only hope the mods can forgive me.

I promise not to drive over 120mph in heavy traffic for at least a week as punishment.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts