BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lierjet
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, being new here and in need of advice.
Looking at two BMW's a 1997 BMW 740il with 140k and a 1998 BMW 750il with 175k.
Keep seeing many blogs about tranny issues on the 740, does the 750 have the same issues?
Which is the longer lasting of the two, if properly maintained?
What to look for and what to stay away from.
This leaves it wide open, any suggestions. Going to buy one of them next week. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The V12 is less prone to trouble compared to the V8. Better designed engine, beefier transmission that will last you longer, however it is quite the gas hog especially around town and parts/repairs cost the same as a 740.

On the other hand if the 740 has been properly maintained, regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes and you keep up on maintenance if you get i, it will last just as long as the 750

·
Lierjet
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the search goes on, look at a 1998 BMW 750il. Was told in very good conditions, guess my opinion about very good does not include bad paint and seat coming apart at the seams. Never even started it, exterior told me enough. I am looking for a cheaper well maintained older BMW 7 series, should be so hard. Anyone know of any for sale near Englewood, FL

·
Registered
44 Posts
What were you looking to spend?
Its gonna be hard to find a "well maintained" $80k car for less than $5-6k
The depreciation has already done its damage for the most part...

·
Lierjet
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got $4,000 that is why I think I have to wait. They had some around my area for about $4,500 but surely not as nice as yours.

·
Lierjet
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Miguel that is what I am finding out, many cheap ones here. However, they are not maintained. So, I will just need to wait a bit and buy one that is properly taken care of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts