BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time and reading this. Two weeks ago I bought a 2018 530i (CPO). Couple of days ago I hit a big pothole that I did not see (SMH). The bump was hard enough to open my glove box. I noticed that during the speeds starting from 75 Mph - 85 MPH, I am getting some slight vibration feedback. I know this is not normal as the vehicle drove like it is gliding on water before that. I can't put a finger on the vibration at speeds over 95 MPH.

Since this is my first BMW I am scared shitless. So..
1) Is this a serious issue ? Does it warrant a trip to the dealership ?
2) Any advice on how should I proceed with this and get my vehicle back in the original state?

Really stressing me out this thing.

Please help.

Warm Regards,

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,200 Posts
Were I you; I would inspect carefully for obvious visible flaws in tires - bubbles - and wheels - bends or cracks.

Then I would consult my BMW Service Center.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
You either bent a rim or your runflat has a bubble in the side, or both. My guess is you bent a rim which is easy to do with runflats and BMW wheels. I am guessing you did not buy the Wheel and Tire insurance? It's a must for me, I have had lots of BMW's.

Assuming you bent a rim, it may be able to be balanced out with weights, but you could have it straightened for $150 or so. Don't worry, it's nothing more serious than a wheel or tire. Suspension is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were I you; I would inspect carefully for obvious visible flaws in tires - bubbles - and wheels - bends or cracks.

Then I would consult my BMW Service Center.
Thank you for responding. So if in the detailed inspection, any flaw comes out, say bubbles, get that fixed and skip the visit to the dealership. Else, have the dealership examine it ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
A slightly different thought. Different car, different symptoms, but we did have suspension damage on a 228 from a pothole. BUT, pothole damage to the car, maybe not tire or wheel, is covered by your collision insurance. What isn’t likely to be covered is secondary damage from not promptly repairing the collision damage. I’d skip the self diagnostics on a car you’ve had for two weeks and is presumably insured, check my policy, and take it to the dealer. My limited experience is that the BMW dealer will work with your insurance as soon as they think you have an insurance claim.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
779 Posts
That must have been one hell of a hit! I have hit some craters, but never has the glovebox open up.

As others mentioned. Go get a road force balance and if you have vibration get a wheel straightening and you’ll be fine. I have to get mine straightened, but have so far avoided bubbles even with some teeth shattering hits.

Just be leery if they want to sell an alignment. A pot hole could knock it outside, but it is very unlikely in my experience.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,436 Posts
So if you hit a pothole hard enough to open your glovebox that was a hard impact.
A roadforce balance won’t do anything for you if your wheel is bent and it probably is since NOW you have a vibration. Once the wheel is repaired THEN get a roadforce balance. A roadforce balance looks at the high/low spot of both the tire and wheel and “force matches” them to give the best ride and minimize hop.
lastly DO get an alignment. Not only is it POSSIBLE for a pothole to effect your alignment ( according to hunter engineering, the people that make balancers and alignment racks ) but sometimes an alignment is the only way to identify suspension damage not visible by eye.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not going to argue with any of the technical suggestions. But if someone hit your driver’s side door, you’d file with your insurance company.

Pothole damage is a collision on insurance policies. If you’re paying for insurance, use it. If you just start fixing it, they may not pay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would take it in an have a shop take a look at it IMO.I have hit a pothole on the passenger side in the past and my alignment, control arm and rim had to be done, an i was only going 80kms and the pothole was roughly 1 inch deep.

just my opinion.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,898 Posts
Not going to argue with any of the technical suggestions. But if someone hit your driver’s side door, you’d file with your insurance company.

Pothole damage is a collision on insurance policies. If you’re paying for insurance, use it. If you just start fixing it, they may not pay.
THis advice is nuts.

First, you have NO idea what OPs policy is, nor what state he is in. Insurance isnt a 'free' thing- in some states you have too many claims and your policy costs go up, bigly.

Next, if he as a $1000 deductible, what if the reair is $1500? He saves $500 but has a chargeabe accident on his policy- his rates go up $1200 per year. Smart.

My point is YOU dont know, I dont know...yet people blithely give advice based on their own world view as if it is one truth....

Next..OP.. I would NOT go to the BMW dealer right off the bat. Once they know there was a pothole issue, you may find they are idiots forever with any kind of handling/noise/drivetrain problem. You go there in a year about something else and an SA who wants to be a hero starts hassling you. (yeah, I can be paranoid) Well plus they are the most expensive way to have work done.

Id first go to a tire store that does alignments. Ask them to check it out. Take the wheel off, measure runout on the rim...inspect the tires... go from there. If they find bent parts, or the alignment is way out, then maybe it turns into an insurace claim and you go to the dealer.

If you need a rim, it is very likely that your dealer will want 50 to 100% more than you can buy from an online BMW dealer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
THis advice is nuts.
Thank you. I knew better than to reply to this thread.

My original post was to check his insurance and understand his options. You could have read that instead of insulting me. I don't know his insurance or his deductible as you say. But it's probably covered before he starts fixing it if he wants to pursue that route. High deductible, wrong insurance, wrong state as you say won't make sense. But if you don't know your options, it likewise makes no sense. It's also a CPO he's had for two weeks, and had really bad luck. Whatever route he takes, and a third party shop makes good sense, needs to preserve his insurance options if he has suspension damage that goes well over his deductible. That's not nuts.

Have a good evening.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Christ this thread is getting more attention on this usually almost lifeless forum, and negativity and arguing. He hit a friggin pothole, a bad pothole and now he has a vibration. Not rocket science, get it looked at.

In MA you can go after the town or city the pothole is in and file a claim and they generally will give you something. I’m not sure about my auto or home owners policy, personally I could not be bothered with filing a claim in any of our bureaucratic towns or cities. I’m pretty sure the OP had zero questions about who would/should pay.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,945 Posts
First, a bunch of strangers on the internet can't diagnose this for you. Take it to a shop. Doesn't need to be a dealership, just a quality independent. If you are new to BMW you should join BMWCCA and ask the local chapter who the quality shops are. www.bmwcca.org

Second, if your car has run flat tires, there is a high probability the impact created a bubble. That cannot be "fixed" other than by replacing the tire. But the more important thig is that if the tire has a bubble it is unsafe to be driving it "78 to 86 mph" as you claimed. If the bubble lets go and the tire blows out, you're possibly going to total your almost-new-to-you car, and maybe maim or kill yourself - or worse, some innocent bystanders - in the process.

Third, it could also be something as innocuous as knocking off a wheel weight, a $25 repair. The important thing is that instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the internet, you need to sort this out!

And for the record, in MA the presumption is that you should have avoided the pothole. Submitting an insurance claim not only incurs a full deductible, but you also get points for an at-fault accident. So yes, if you have the intestinal fortitude to go after the municipality, by all means have a go. But you're shooting yourself in the foot if you submit a claim. (A good agent would tell you that, but if you are trusting your fate to the lizard or the General, you may find out the hard way). YMMV>

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
How many different ways can 20 people say the same thing on the internet.

And for the record, in MA the presumption is that you should have avoided the pothole. Submitting an insurance claim not only incurs a full deductible, but you also get points for an at-fault accident. So yes, if you have the intestinal fortitude to go after the municipality, by all means have a go. But you're shooting yourself in the foot if you submit a claim. (A good agent would tell you that, but if you are trusting your fate to the lizard or the General, you may find out the hard way). YMMV>
RE: MA, exactly, that's why I said I could not be bothered. It's really not "going after a municipality" in MA. It's a form to fill out with some documentation of damage. Not worth the effort. Key words here: Wheel and Tire Insurance.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,945 Posts
Thread's only 2 days old. Give it a week. We've barely scratched the surface. (Though I did feel that the OP needed to hear that driving 80-plus on a bubble might win him a Darwin Award).

Reactions: Joe-BMW

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Thread's only 2 days old. Give it a week. We've barely scratched the surface. (Though I did feel that the OP needed to hear that driving 80-plus on a bubble might win him a Darwin Award).
Yeah, but the OP joined two days ago to post this and has been MIA, happens all the time. Hopefully he isn't MIA because he was driving 80-plus on a bubble. Unfortunately, we will never know the outcome of this dramatic and suspenseful thread. Just questions unanswered - Who was right in this thread? How much did it cost? Who paid? Was it a bubble or a bend?? Did the glovebox really open????? Spooooky....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Everyone,

First of all, apologies for being MIA. I only got an appointment from my dealer for today so thought I'd update after getting the initial diagnosis. The dealer figured out that both the passenger side wheels are bent. I just got her to wheel workz for their opinion as well.

I am seriously hoping wheel workz can fix it. I am writing this as they are looking at it. No bubbles in the tire though and have not been driving at higher speeds anymore. Not gonna file any claim as it does not make sense.

I am from Memphis and still awaiting wheel workz's diagnosis. Anyone know any good indis or workshops in and around the are please I am all ears. I have also made an account on bmwcca. Any other platform where I can find local bmw owners and share some knowledge ?

I should have avoided the pothole SMH but it was raining and shit happens. I will keep you all posted on the final outcome and I want to take a moment to thank everyone for their guidance.

P.S - Don't fight nothing worth the argument. IMO everyone's saying the same thing just in different ways. Appreciate all the thoughts.

Yours truly,
A very very grateful new BMW owner :)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Hey Everyone,

First of all, apologies for being MIA. I only got an appointment from my dealer for today so thought I'd update after getting the initial diagnosis. The dealer figured out that both the passenger side wheels are bent. I just got her to wheel workz for their opinion as well.

I am seriously hoping wheel workz can fix it. I am writing this as they are looking at it. No bubbles in the tire though and have not been driving at higher speeds anymore. Not gonna file any claim as it does not make sense.

I am from Memphis and still awaiting wheel workz's diagnosis. Anyone know any good indis or workshops in and around the are please I am all ears. I have also made an account on bmwcca. Any other platform where I can find local bmw owners and share some knowledge ?

I should have avoided the pothole SMH but it was raining and shit happens. I will keep you all posted on the final outcome and I want to take a moment to thank everyone for their guidance.

P.S - Don't fight nothing worth the argument. IMO everyone's saying the same thing just in different ways. Appreciate all the thoughts.

Yours truly,
A very very grateful new BMW owner :)
Did the dealer offer to straighten them or were they telling you that you had to buy two new wheels?

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,436 Posts
Most dealerships can’t straighten internally and normally sublet this out. I believe bmw says the wheels need replaced but not all dealers subscribe to this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts