BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site, and I have been looking for an E46 3-series. I am currently trying to sell my 2004 STI. Yesterday I saw an 02 540i with 41k miles for sale on the side of the road. Asking price is $19,999. Car appears to be meticulously maintained. Charcoal (not sure the exact color) exterior with black leather, automatic, wood trim. Very clean car. Says it has sport package (not sure exactly what this includes). Are the 540s known for any certain issues? Should I have specific things checked out? Seems like a fairly good price to me, any input? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've only been on this forum since I purchased my 540 a month ago. I got mine (2002) for $14k with 70 on the clock. Well taken care of 540i's are listed in my neck of the woods for $22-25k, not sure if they sell more. Manual cars go for a premium.

As for problems, people on this forum say that the radiators and fan clutches go out after 70-100k. Not sure how common this is, considering that I've only seen pictures of 2 cars that have actually blown their fan-clutch. Still, it's enough for me to want to swap it out.

Most of the major problems that I have researched are easilly fixed with a DIY, although some (like modding to the Zionsville radiator system that will solve all of your fan-clutch and radiator problems) are a bit expensive: $1600..

That said, I'd reccomend a 540i any day of the week. I love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.