Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2008 E60 N54 with 220,000 miles. A couple of months ago the car basically tripped out on the road (all warnings went on, screen went black, etc) after the weakest start it ever had and went completely dead. My shop replaced the alternator and the battery.

On my may home from the shop, I got a check engine light. The shop seemed to think it was the vanos.

I have been lightly driving for the past couple of months without fixing this. If I accelerate with any force the check engine light goes on. The power is also very week even before the check engine light.

Autozone ran the codes today and provided:

30FF
2DED
2B2C
2C39
6E83

I also attached the codes that were run by the mechanic prior to replacing the alternator and battery.

Any thoughts? I don't really have a mechanic that I trust unfortunately. Not sure why this new check engine light started right after i got a new alternator and battery.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Repost - Help please on 2008 535 xi n54 E60

Sorry for the repost, but not sure if I did something wrong in my original post. Any advice please on what I described and the codes uploaded? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Google the codes and get it ironed out. Did the shop code the new battery? You check for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If they didn***8217;t already, get Autozone to clear the codes, drive a bit, and check again. Many of those could be residual from your dead battery. I would also double check that all of your intake hoses are connected properly since you have a 30FF

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with kd7iwp, there is probably a loose hose or vacuum line that is off. Start with a serious visual search under the hood. The misfires and mixture control codes are the ones that really mean things. They can all be caused by improperly reassembled intake plumbing. There are other causes but I'd look for something like that first. There is no VANOS code that I see. So you know,
30ff is low boost - maybe a leak - our car triggers this when something is wrong with the engine.
2DED is likely a result of the battery swap - something didn't go to sleep properly
2B2C high fuel pressure issue most likely
2c39 is a misfire or mixture code from the O2 sensor
6e83 is related to the battery change - DSC error

It is possible the high pressure fuel pump has died. Before this happened, did the car start instantly or did it have to crank a bit? If it had to crank, HPFP is a likely cause.
We have a 2008 535xi at a few more miles than yours. Tough to diagnose from here. I'd look for a well reputed independent BMW shop.
Hope this is helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts