BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was just hoping to grab a few opinions on a suspension upgrade, as my struts and shocks are in need of a replacement. I'm considering a few options:

1) Koni STR.T (Orange)
2) Bilstein HD
3) Koni Sport (Yellow)

I don't do any track or autocross driving, just the occasional spirited driving through the congested streets of my city. The roads here are terrible, and so I'm probably looking for something a little more forgiving rather than something with a little more performance. I'm going to stay with stock springs for now, so that's also something to take into consideration.

The Koni STR.T's are dirt cheap ($360) for all four, so I'm thinking that's going to be a pretty tough option to beat. If anyone has any experience with them I'd love to hear it.

Looking forward to hearing some opinions,
Alex

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
The Bilstein HDs may be too stiff if you're worried about ride harshness. They have the same internal valving as the Bilstein Sports, just with longer pistons for stock ride height. Granted, I do have stiffer springs on my car, but my car is not very forgiving. I hear Konis are more forgiving, but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bilstein HDs may be too stiff if you're worried about ride harshness. They have the same internal valving as the Bilstein Sports, just with longer pistons for stock ride height. Granted, I do have stiffer springs on my car, but my car is not very forgiving. I hear Konis are more forgiving, but I have no experience with them.
I agree, I dont think I would enjoy the ride of the bilstein HD, even on stock springs.

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
I've been running the Koni STR.Ts with stock springs all around for about 2 years now. The ride is a bit firmer than stock, but not harshly stiff.
I don't know if they've changed this now, but the lower spring cup on my STR.T struts sits about an inch lower than the stock struts so you get a bit of front end lowering with them too.
I know they had some complaints about this because some people had some rubbing issues, so they might have moved the spring cup further back up the strut.
I've got about 1/32" of clearance between my tire and the spring cup but no rub fortunately.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have bilstein HD's on sport springs. seem just fine to me :) i happen to like the way they ride. a tad more stiff than OEM but they just feel so great and sturdy. could also be because i never changed mine at 160k miles before that :dunno:

·
Registered
621 Posts
i run bilstein hd and stock springs. firms up the ride from factory without sacrificing ride comfort. i have bilstein sport and h&r springs in my e34, again i like the ride a little firmer than stock and by no means sacrificing comfort. the sports lower the car a little but the ride on either is comparable.fwiw.

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
Yeah, the general consensus is that bilstein missed the valving on the e36 application. Koni's however get great reviews. I have sachs on mine (they are red and I can't find a link for them to save my life) and they are great (with H&R sports).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree, I dont think I would enjoy the ride of the bilstein HD, even on stock springs.
I was on hds with stock springs and loved it now on oe sport springs even better the oe spring make it alot smoother wile still stiffing it up a bit if that makes any sense
But when you push down on the front or rear of the car its like a rock cant really move it at all so yea their stiff but i love it

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really wish I knew someone with a setup like the one I'm looking to run. The only other Bilstein-equiped BMW I've ridden in was an E36 M3 with Bilstein Sports + lowering springs + quite a few other suspension upgrades (read: stiffeners). It was too harsh for a daily driver, imo, but my 328i non-sports suspension with HD's would probably be a much different feel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem with the stock suspension (boge/Sachs) that I keep hearing is that it's a nice initial ride but that the ride quality deteriorates extremely quickly (30k-50k miles) and by 60k it's just completely worn out. No lifetime warranty either. Plus, they are about the same price as a set of Bilsteins.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
From what I've heard, the OEM shocks & struts are good for about 100k miles. My original shocks and struts felt fine at 103k miles, but everything else was shot, so I just changed them out when I replaced everything else.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I've heard, the OEM shocks & struts are good for about 100k miles. My original shocks and struts felt fine at 103k miles, but everything else was shot, so I just changed them out when I replaced everything else.
Mine are at 103k and honestly pretty worn out. My front driver strut is leaking. Surprisingly my bushings are in pretty good shape for how old they are. It really just depends I suppose.

·
Registered
625 Posts
hey zegerman so im gonna go with the boge sport struts and shocks. will it lower my car at all or do i need new springs? i guess i don't understand the difference from sport or not sport. i have a 323is so i assumed i should choose the sport. also pelicanparts has the struts for 142 a piece and the shocks for 86 a piece. is that the cheapest i'm gonna find for those?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.