Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I was recently in an auto accident and it totaled my last vehicle. I am strongly considering the purchase of a BMW X5. I'd like to stick with under 10k$, which for my area, at the moment, Means perhaps up to a 2010. Of course the usual things play a role, Miles, condition.

What I would like to avoid is someone else's problem.

Might I ask some suggestions to year, engine size? etc? I am a total rookie here, and I hope you all will treat me with gentle hands :)

I have been looking at 2007-2010. But I have heard/read mixed reviews on the engine sizes. V6 Vs. V8.

Thank you for your help!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.

My experience is with I6 Diesel engine only, but I am glad that I did not stumble into a V8.

Whatever you decide, have a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by a trusted and experienced, BMW experienced if possible, independent mechanic. It should cost $100 or so. If the seller bulls up for any reason, walk away. There is something that the seller does not want found. Do not trust salesmen.

·
Fool on the Hill
229 Posts
Avoid the V8. A gasoline six cylinder will avoid the potential pollution control issues inherent in modern diesels.

And by the way, BMW six cylinder engines are in line sixes, not a V6.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless you have a sizable repair/maintenance budget, At your price point I’d buy a Honda or Toyota. They go forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
817 Posts
It is like buying an old house. You need to spend more money on updating it. There is no way you can buy an X5 for $10k and keep running it without expensive updating of wear and tear items. You have budget another $10k to make it road worthy.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
8 - 10 year old Bmw's are fast approaching the time where many important/major systems will need repair or replacement, which means high cost maintenance territory. If you want to know if you're READY to own a old X5, ask yourself if you ready to deal with anything it throws at you at the drop of a hat.
I've owned many Bmw's,...one rule of thumb I've always followed is to make sure I own my car, not the other way around. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had BMW's X5 AND for the KM's I go for during a year, I prefer having my BUT in a Bimmer than anything else.

I also know that the repair costs are something to consider.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
6 cylinder gas is best option. Check for leaks, get one from private party who has maintained it (meaning more frequent fluid changes than BMW recommends with proper fluids), check it has all the gadgets you need (don't assume it will have bluetooth or that bluetooth will stream music), check everything works, then schedule a pre purchase inspection with an independent shop (not a dealer.)

It's kind of the needle in the haystack and may cost more than typical advertised value, but buying a well loved car rather than a neglected one is going to pay off.

·
Registered
817 Posts
People who sell their old X5, do not fully service it and repair it.

Thet sell it when it starts falling apart.

Common mistake by newbies is to assume when they buy a $80k X5 for $15k., they will be able to drive it and use it without any more M/R work on it

·
Registered
7,503 Posts

Common mistake by newbies is to assume when they buy a $80k X5 for $15k., they will be able to drive it and use it without any more M/R work on it
That's a generalization, there are specimens on either side of the bell curve, but generally you're right, most people drive a typical daily driver, barely maintain it, then sell it when there's a hint of trouble. The exception is going to be the guy who has something more special than an X5 in the garage that he lavishes a ton of care on and applies same regimen to the daily driver. If buying well used that's the one you want to hold out for and possibly pay a little more for as well. When you're buying a used car knowing who owned it prior to you is important; you're shopping for the right owner as much as the right car, something you can't do when buying at a used lot.

I can tell you that I've made several car shoppers happy when they were presented with a stack of maintenance records to go along with the new to them car. The guy who bought our nearly ten year old / 110k miles MINI three years ago still gives me updates on the car and thanks me for taking such good care of it. He's a car nut who needed to replace his daily E36 M3 that was totaled by his teenage son. I also still see the 06 330i sold back in 2010 around town.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've owned 3 BMW's over the last 15 years, all purchased for less than $10K, all GREAT cars (which is why I keep coming back), but all needed significant preventative maintenance work and / or actual needed repair work. These cars all had $5K to $10K+ in recommended / needed repairs according to the pre-purchase inspection, which I did myself for about a 1/4 of the cost quoted & often times much less.

If you're not a "DIY" kinda guy (or gal), I'd strongly recommend against buying a sub $10K high mileage BMW, regardless of its history. If you are a DIY kinda guy, then I'd recommend having two cars for when the BMW is down & you're stuck waiting on parts to fix it back up. Spent plenty of long nights frantically repairing my E36 M3 back in the day to get it ready to drive me to work in the morning... Fortunately, BMW's are some of the easiest cars to repair in my experience & opinion.

If you do decide to move forward, get a pre-purchase inspection by a well respected dealer... Driving the car around the block a few times & casually looking under the hood will absolutely not show you the hidden issues that will no doubt exist on a high-mileage sub $10K E70... The previous owner got rid of it for a reason, where a rational fear and / or legitimate avoidance of a necessary costly repair is often times the reason...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,792 Posts
Keep in mind that repair costs on that 'sub 10k bmw' will be PRECISELY the same as a new $70k BMW

AS above, unless you are a DIYer, it can be very painful.

Some good advice above- stick with the 6 cyl versions (V8s are a mess, in general)

·
Registered
751 Posts

Best to nab that x5 from the owner who is tired of pouring money into it keeping it as nice as possible. Other owners pour money into cars keeping them on the road.
The latter cars change hands more and have longer sale cycles than the former, which is why you comparatively rarely see super nice cheap bmws.

Our e53 3.0 was a creampuff. Special order car, every recommended service completed at the selling dealer. Well optioned, no settlements. At 8 years and 115k miles, the original owners purchased an e70 35d. I always hoped they would call us when they were ready to sell that. Anyway, stuff like this you have to be fast or line up your interest in advance for cars/owners you know of. Ymmv

Keep in mind that repair costs on that 'sub 10k bmw' will be PRECISELY the same as a new $70k BMW
....just regularly and out of pocket instead of seldom and covered under warranty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Best to nab that x5 from the owner who is tired of pouring money into it keeping it as nice as possible. Other owners pour money into cars keeping them on the road.
The latter cars change hands more and have longer sale cycles than the former, which is why you comparatively rarely see super nice cheap bmws.

Our e53 3.0 was a creampuff. Special order car, every recommended service completed at the selling dealer. Well optioned, no settlements. At 8 years and 115k miles, the original owners purchased an e70 35d. I always hoped they would call us when they were ready to sell that. Anyway, stuff like this you have to be fast or line up your interest in advance for cars/owners you know of. Ymmv

....just regularly and out of pocket instead of seldom and covered under warranty.
No doubt... I've been looking for the "right" E70 for over a year... Have spent nearly a grand in PPI's for various ones that looked promising, but ditched out on all of them due to serious hidden neglect issues that I did not want to deal with for the price being demanded (ie not my problem that you're upside down on your high-interest used car loan on a vehicle you obviously did not maintain, & your outright lying about not knowing about the issues certainly does not help my confidence)...

FINALLY found a very well maintained, 1 owner, high-mileage, but pristine cosmetic condition 2012 E70 35d from a dealership that originally sold the car brand new, maintained it thru its entire previous ownership w/ extended warranty, & was returned as a trade-in when the original purchaser bought another brand new BMW after a fairly recent replacement of the entire SCR system & associated sensors. The dealership's PPI & detailed prior service record showed issues w/ the DPF & a recent repair history that would & should rightfully scare the crap out of anyone who's not very familiar with these things... Which is why I was able to nab it for cheap w/ a cash offer before they offloaded it to a wholesaler; however, even then, I would NOT have recommended someone buy this VERY well maintained E70 diesel, unless they were competent, equipped, & willing to do the necessary preventative maintenance work, minor repairs, & resolve the DPF issue themselves.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Whatever used E70 you buy, the short, around the block test drive is useless. One needs to floor it on the interstate to 80 mph for a few exits for any check engine light to come :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts