BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
German freak
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow BM'r addicts!!!

I'm looking for a high miles (over 100,000) '99-'00 E46 for my son, and seeking some guidance from those of you with all the experience! The 323 or 328 look the most appealing to me, but I haven't ruled out a 318. Coupe or sedan doesn't matter. Any thoughts on these 3 engines?

We need to keep price below $10,000, which is why we're staying with '99 & '00 + car with higher miles. He won't be driving more than 3-4,000 miles/year for the next 3-4 years, so I believe it will suit him well. If you see any fault in my logic, PLEASE let me hear your thoughts. Many thanks!

(My other son drives a '96 328is and loves it)

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Get a 328ci w/ a manual transmission. Check the E46 wiki on info about common issues and what to look for when buying. :)

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Get a 328ci w/ a manual transmission. Check the E46 wiki on info about common issues and what to look for when buying. :)
That won't be valued under 10k unless it's in less-than-excellent condition, in which case, I don't think I'd recommend buying one (note the wiki).

I've got a 323i (full options) with 132k on the odometer, and it still KBB's for 11k. You might find someone to come down from that, but I (personally) wouldn't.

As far as whether or not it's a good college car, hell yes. I'm a college student and I've put far more than 4k/yearly on it (22k average). Still holds up with very few issues. It's an amazing highway cruiser, excellent safety ratings (puts mom at ease), it's reasonably fast (so he won't complain), and the design is just amazing. Also, you'd be surprised at how much stuff you can fit in the sedans.

·
Black Mage
2,337 Posts
Under 10k, I recommend looking into an E36. E46's aren't there yet, unless you find one with issues or a salvage title.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Better to get a slightly used Honda. Great gas mileage, safe and dependible.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Import one from alabama :)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,903 Posts
Yeah, prices can be around $10k. Here's one on Ebay that looks pretty good. I'll even go check it out for you if you'd like. I have no personal interest in this car and I know nothing about the seller. I just happened on it when I checked Ebay and it's right in my front door. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-B...oryZ6007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fyi - I just noticed they're offering a one year warranty from Eagle Warranty - I have experience with Eagle Warranty and would recommend them. www.eagelwarranty.com Kind of interesting thing about Eagle - they don't sell warranties to the general public. Their warranties are sold only through authorized dealers and only on cars those dealer sell themselves.

here's the company's website - http://www.millenniummotorcarsinc.com/ CarFax - http://www.carfax.com/cfm/gvh_displ...UCP_Customer_Flag=N&deepLinkId=&deepLinkType=

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Nice looking car, strange no interior shots though.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,903 Posts
Nice looking car, strange no interior shots though.
Yeah, there are interior shots. You have to scroll down in that little window. I'm quite impressed with this car from those photos.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Didnt see the mini scroll bar the first time sorry. Nice looking car.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
"2.8L V6"

Thats a deal-buster for me. I was looking for an I-6. :)

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
lol I see that alot in ads for bmw's.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,903 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Wouldnt load for me either, checked the server they were suposed to be on and the pics are not on there. Wonder if they sold it or something?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,903 Posts
Wouldnt load for me either, checked the server they were suposed to be on and the pics are not on there. Wonder if they sold it or something?
That you know how to do that is scary! :yikes:

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
:)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,903 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts