BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Advice on Detailing

2067 18
I know, I know, I have gone through quite a few threads on this and finally have decided to get the Zaino care kit for the car and get the Klass polish for my wheels. On the Zaino, I am going to buy the complete kit but I am not sure which Klass product I should buy for my wheels and the best place to get them.

Is the industrial car wash advisable (coin operated and just with water if I do not use the soap) or do you guys do the wash at home.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Klasse All-In-One (AIO for short on the forum) is what most suggest on the wheels, but I would think one of the Zaino products would work just as good. I don't use Zaino products so I can't comment on them.

I think we all wash our cars at home using a car shampoo, I use Meg's or mother's, can't remember(yellow thick stuff in a clear gallon jug). But if you are starting from scratch, wash the car down with Dawn dish soap to strip off any wax and oils, then Clay it. Once you have polish/wax on the car, don't use Dawn unless you want to remove it.
sunnykk said:
I know, I know, I have gone through quite a few threads on this and finally have decided to get the Zaino care kit for the car and get the Klass polish for my wheels. On the Zaino, I am going to buy the complete kit but I am not sure which Klass product I should buy for my wheels and the best place to get them.

Is the industrial car wash advisable (coin operated and just with water if I do not use the soap) or do you guys do the wash at home.
Thanks for the info
Test_Engineer said:
Klasse All-In-One (AIO for short on the forum) is what most suggest on the wheels, but I would think one of the Zaino products would work just as good. I don't use Zaino products so I can't comment on them.

I think we all wash our cars at home using a car shampoo, I use Meg's or mother's, can't remember(yellow thick stuff in a clear gallon jug). But if you are starting from scratch, wash the car down with Dawn dish soap to strip off any wax and oils, then Clay it. Once you have polish/wax on the car, don't use Dawn unless you want to remove it.
I'd just buy Klasse AIO and use it as the base for the Z. That will be the only time you'll use AIO. After that, just use Z2/Z5. Z can be used on the wheels (I've got Z2 on mine now). AIO works well as a cleaner to remove any/all traces of Carnuba/Oils which would prevent Z from bonding.

As for washing, I'd wash at home. The car wash will use recycled water in most cases so it'll be loaded with stuff that will make waterspots.
Would you buy the complete Z-Kit and Klasse AIO if you were me.
hal9000 said:
I'd just buy Klasse AIO and use it as the base for the Z. That will be the only time you'll use AIO. After that, just use Z2/Z5. Z can be used on the wheels (I've got Z2 on mine now). AIO works well as a cleaner to remove any/all traces of Carnuba/Oils which would prevent Z from bonding.

As for washing, I'd wash at home. The car wash will use recycled water in most cases so it'll be loaded with stuff that will make waterspots.
Sunny, I just bought an 05 Silbergrau ZHP as well (I know ZHP part doesn't matter here). The problem with the kit is that it comes with things that you don't need. With a silvergray car you don't really need the Z5 because there is less tendency to show swirls. Plus I've heard the Z5 doesn't do a great job of removing swirl marks anyway. You could probably do without the AIO as well, as the Zaino offers a complete solution. The Zaino Clay bar works great, using Z7 car was mixed with water as a lubricant. Other than that it's pretty much Z7 for washing, and Z2 Pro plus ZFX for waxing/sealing. It works great on the wheels.

Here are some tips though:
1) Get those little foam paintbrushes from home depot or wallmart. They are invaluable for cleaning and applying Zaino to the ZHP wheels.
2) Microfiber towels - lots of them. Order some online to get good quality ones. Get a waffle Weave towel 2'x3' for drying the car. It's amazing - 1 towel will dry the entire car. www.pakshak.com has some great MF towels for detailing, as does Autopia and classic car care. Check out the BigBlueII waffle weaver (I think it's on autopia.com). Waffle weave's are also good for cleaning windows/windshields. Also get some ultrafine MF towels too
3) Use Stoners Invisible Glass to clean windows/windshields. It's AMAZING. Cheap too - go to walmart - it's maybe 3.00 for a can. Can be ordered online too.
4) After washign your car, remove the nozzle from your hose and let the water free flow from the hose onto your car. This will let the water sheet off, minimizing the chance of water spots, and allowing you to dry your car quicker (TRY this its unbelievably effective).
sunnykk said:
Zaino for wheels is a painfull option and this is why:
-it has no cleaning properties
-you need at least 2 products, Z1 and Z2 or ZFX and Z2 to ensure it bonds to paint
-on wheels it lasts no longer than any other polymer product

AIO works well on wheels but if you don't want to order online and wanna save some money try NuFinish, ~$5 anywhere. It does better job cleaning brake dust and tar from the wheels than AIO and lasts a long time. It has very harsh chemicals, lots of solvents and that's why it does so well on tar but for this very reason I wouldn't use it on my car's paintwork.
Need Help

Can Anyone Suggest An Excellent Detailer In The Boston/ Nh Area ?
Well, since I've been doing this a while, I pieced my stuff together. I don't believe that the other parts of the full kit are worth the convenience if you've already got or can readily buy it. Here's what I would recommend having in your basic "kit" assuming your car is relatively swirl/scratch free.

Mother's Claybar (easily sourced locally when needed)
Meg's Gold Class Wash (available in just about any car dept)
Some type of Swirl Mark Remover (I prefer Meg's DACP)
AIO
ZFX
Z2 Pro
Z6
S100 Carnuba (Sourced from local Harley Davidson Dealership)
Lots of Foam Applicator Pads
Lots of Microfiber Towels for product Removal

If you feel the need to do minimal swirl mark coverup, Z5's not bad, but it's not a miracle product - it only minimizes the lightest of swirls, but allows you to cover instead of having to polish minor swirls. It uses the same ZFX and is totally compatable with Z2 where some other products aren't.

For swirls and scratches, I'd advise getting a PC with a full assortment of pads. If the car is majorly scratched/swirled, 3M FI2 is a good product. Then there's all the trim detailing stuff - I personally prefer Aerospace 303 for all the rubber (light gloss and shine, but adds UV protection). I'd also say get some Gummipfleg for the rubber seals around the doors/trunk/hood.
sunnykk said:
What do you use for Leather. I do not want to use something that shines and takes off the matt finish. I think the matt finish looks pretty cool.

Sunny
hal9000 said:
Well, since I've been doing this a while, I pieced my stuff together. I don't believe that the other parts of the full kit are worth the convenience if you've already got or can readily buy it. Here's what I would recommend having in your basic "kit" assuming your car is relatively swirl/scratch free.

Mother's Claybar (easily sourced locally when needed)
Meg's Gold Class Wash (available in just about any car dept)
Some type of Swirl Mark Remover (I prefer Meg's DACP)
AIO
ZFX
Z2 Pro
Z6
S100 Carnuba (Sourced from local Harley Davidson Dealership)
Lots of Foam Applicator Pads
Lots of Microfiber Towels for product Removal

If you feel the need to do minimal swirl mark coverup, Z5's not bad, but it's not a miracle product - it only minimizes the lightest of swirls, but allows you to cover instead of having to polish minor swirls. It uses the same ZFX and is totally compatable with Z2 where some other products aren't.

For swirls and scratches, I'd advise getting a PC with a full assortment of pads. If the car is majorly scratched/swirled, 3M FI2 is a good product. Then there's all the trim detailing stuff - I personally prefer Aerospace 303 for all the rubber (light gloss and shine, but adds UV protection). I'd also say get some Gummipfleg for the rubber seals around the doors/trunk/hood.
This is my list for the moment:

Zaino:
ZFX Flash Cure
Z2Pro Show Car Polish
Z6 Ultra Clean Gloss
Z7 Show Car Wash
Z18 Clay-Bar

Meg's Gold Class Wash

Aerospace 303 for Dash

NuFinish for wheels

Microfiber Towels, Micro fiber Applicator pads and Micro fiber mitts (www.pakshak.com)

I am still not sure for Leather

I am thinking of Leather in a bottle from Zaino: Z10 (Any ideas?)

Sunny
Your list sounds good except for 2 things. I have heard the MF wash Mits aren't so great. Their pile isn't deep enough. I've been using a sheepskin wash mit and it's great because all dirt gets pulled away from the surface (less chance of micro-scratches from pushing dirt around).

Also, you need to add the Big Blue II waffle weave towel for drying. This is by far the most amazing towel in my aresenal.
http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/bigbludryint.html
It's a little expensive - but it's just impressive. You don't wipe the car dry. You just put the towel on a wet surface, and the surface becomes dry.

Anyone else out here want to back me up on this?

sunnykk said:
This is my list for the moment:

Zaino:
ZFX Flash Cure
Z2Pro Show Car Polish
Z6 Ultra Clean Gloss
Z7 Show Car Wash
Z18 Clay-Bar

Meg's Gold Class Wash

Aerospace 303 for Dash

NuFinish for wheels

Microfiber Towels, Micro fiber Applicator pads and Micro fiber mitts (www.pakshak.com)

I am still not sure for Leather

I am thinking of Leather in a bottle from Zaino: Z10 (Any ideas?)

Sunny
Iceman

I forgot to put it on my list, but I had the Big blue waffle towels 2'x3', short listed too from Paskshak. Also, do you know if Z10 leather in a bottle takes away the matt finish or not because I want to make sure that I don't lose my matt finish when I clean the leather.

Sunny
icemanjs4 said:
Your list sounds good except for 2 things. I have heard the MF wash Mits aren't so great. Their pile isn't deep enough. I've been using a sheepskin wash mit and it's great because all dirt gets pulled away from the surface (less chance of micro-scratches from pushing dirt around).

Also, you need to add the Big Blue II waffle weave towel for drying. This is by far the most amazing towel in my aresenal.
http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/bigbludryint.html
It's a little expensive - but it's just impressive. You don't wipe the car dry. You just put the towel on a wet surface, and the surface becomes dry.

Anyone else out here want to back me up on this?
I'll chime in about Z10. It doesn't make the leather look shiny but like with every conditioner it will make the color a bit deeper. After you apply it wait 5 minutes and wipe it with damp microfiber towel and then buff it with dry towel. Don't condition the leather more than 2-3 times a year. It's more important to keep it clean so wipe it with damp MF towel every week.

I like Einszett Lederpflege, it keeps the leather completely matte. Last time I applied it I went over the seat twice because I wasn't sure if I treated it or not.
sunnykk said:
Iceman

I forgot to put it on my list, but I had the Big blue waffle towels 2'x3', short listed too from Paskshak. Also, do you know if Z10 leather in a bottle takes away the matt finish or not because I want to make sure that I don't lose my matt finish when I clean the leather.

Sunny
I haven't settled down to one product yet.
I've used and recommend Leatheriques Rejuv Oil and Prestine Clean, but I don't feel it's a every month/detail product. It's way overkill for that situation.

In between, I've used both Lexol's cleaner (good product when used properly) and conditioned with Pinnacle's Leather Conditioner. I'm not a big fan of Lexol's conditioner, but properly conditioned with RO, I haven't seen the need to overly condition my leather. Often a wipe with a damp cloth is all that I've needed on weekly/monthly washes.
sunnykk said:
What do you use for Leather. I do not want to use something that shines and takes off the matt finish. I think the matt finish looks pretty cool.

Sunny
Leatherique is the ONLY way to go when it comes to leather care. Remember that it is a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Also remember to be very generous with the product when applying. It'll look weird at first, but give it some time to dry and work it's magic and your leather will look good as new, with the nice matte finish that comes on beamers.
sunnykk said:

Sunny
Which is the best place to get Leatherique.
asnpcwiz said:
Leatherique is the ONLY way to go when it comes to leather care. Remember that it is a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Also remember to be very generous with the product when applying. It'll look weird at first, but give it some time to dry and work it's magic and your leather will look good as new, with the nice matte finish that comes on beamers.
Amazon has it and it's also available from leatherique.com. I have never used it but I'm planning to buy it after reading so many recommendations.

By the way, does leatherique cleaner give that nice new leather smell? How long does it last?
leather

sunnykk said:
Which is the best place to get Leatherique.
I saw that bmw has a leather cleaner, doesanyone think that stuff is any good?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.