BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What should I do about this damage?

• Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • File an insurance claim and get BMW to replace the part

• File and insurance claim and get an indie shop to replace the part

• Fix it myself (please suggest how in a comment below)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Try to sue the state to recover damages (cite precedents or personal experience below)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

So, a week after getting my new 2017 M240i XDrive I was driving on an interstate when suddenly the car in front of me swerved a bit. I noticed a piece of steel rebar on the road, about 2 ft long in the shape of a U. I was not speeding, but I had a semitrailer beside me on one side and a guardrail with no shoulder and a cliff drop on the other side, there was no way to avoid it without side-swiping a semi / guardrail or going off a cliff so the best I could do was brake, try to center my car over the rebar and hope for the best ...

Then CLUNK, it must have hit my car. The damage looks pretty minor (see the image below) and if it was me, I'd just spray paint it the same color and call it done.

But it's a lease and I'm not sure if BMW will ding me for that damage at the end of the lease. So I'm trying to decide if I should file an insurance claim and pay my $500 deductible and possibly lose my 10 years accident-free discount so BMW can repair / replace the part or just eat the cost of the damages at the end of the lease. I'm likely to buy out the lease at the end anyway, in which case I don't think BMW will charge me. I can live with the damage, I'll just spray paint it.

What should I do?

What's the name of this part? Does anybody have a part number or $ cost for it?

I'm going to get BMW to inspect the car to look for any damage to the undercarriage. However, no lights or warnings came on after the accident and all systems check out OK. I visually inspected the undercarriage and felt around and saw no damage. There were no fluid leaks either after the collision, later that night or in the morning (I parked it on a clean slab of concrete so I could look for any leaks).

What else might have been damaged underneath the car? Or are these cars rock solid and being that it was a 3,662 lb car hitting a maybe 5 lb piece of rebar, I should just stop obsessing about damage to the undercarriage?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
That looks like the M Performance front splitter (PN: 51192343367). You could try painting it and if you're not satisfied with how that looks, you can buy the part for <$500 and replace it yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like the M Performance front splitter (PN: 51192343367). You could try painting it and if you're not satisfied with how that looks, you can buy the part for <$500 and replace it yourself.
Thank you so much! :) I really appreciate the response and the calming words.

I'm seeing them on Amazon for anywhere from $250-$700. The one you linked to is not available any more and seems to be for a 5 series. Maybe it would fit an M240i?

If I were to paint it, any suggestions or I guess maybe an autobody shop could paint match the color if I bring the car and they can use lasers or dolphins or something to get the exact pigment / color values?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that part comes from the factory in matte black, not painted. You could try masking it and spraying it with some matte black paint to see how it looks.
If you decide to buy a new one, try Sun Motors BMW in Mechanicsburg PA. I bought my MP rear diffuser from them. They have some of the best prices on BMW parts and free shipping on most items.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
If you can't do it yourself, pay a shop to do it without insurance. Just chalk it up to bad car luck . . . it's not worth an increase in insurance rates for a relatively small bit of damage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Honestly, as a lease, I'd fix it myself, Touch up or spray. Not even sure if BMW will ding you for that small damage if they even see it (based on where it's located) when you turn it in. Generally they expect some wear and tear on returns. Bondy dents, dings and scratches are what they look for also interior tears and burns. If you have a buddy at BMW, run the car over and get his opinion (after you touch it up of course)

Would keep insurance out if it.

I had a similar instance driving my old Hyundai Santa Fe. Was hemmed in right lane when I hit a 20"x6" piece of tire on the road...It rattled around under the car and I lost power. $2000+ for new gas tank and fuel pump. I paid for it out of pocket as it would be considered "my fault" for hitting it....I had $1k deductible and then a likely insurance premium hike for three years + carfax and diminished value on my vehicle.

I cannot fathom all the $#!t I see on the roadway. Mostly exploded semi tires, but have seen buckets, Aluminum ladders, a bicycle (some guy lost it off his carrier), spools of wire, 5 gallon orange water dispensers, etc. I now keep a "many" car length distance from vehicle in front of me. Too close and you have no reaction time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.