BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, again another question for an apprentice on ED. How does the route Germany, Czech Rep, Poland, Hungary, and Austria sound? Any advise? I'll be in Europe for 3 weeks to pick up my E90 on May 30th and to Poland (to visit my wife's family), but a few unknowns bother me:
How to drive on the Autobahn while maintaining the "rules and regulations" of the break in period? I want to enjoy my ride, but You know I don't want anybody calling me Großmutter :eeps:
Any places/ must see along the route?
Any things that I should be aware of ?
Any hotels where to stay?
Please advise...

;)

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
rojasorone said:
Hi everyone, again another question for an apprentice on ED. How does the route Germany, Czech Rep, Poland, Hungary, and Austria sound? Any advise? I'll be in Europe for 3 weeks to pick up my E90 on May 30th and to Poland (to visit my wife's family), but a few unknowns bother me:
How to drive on the Autobahn while maintaining the "rules and regulations" of the break in period? I want to enjoy my ride, but You know I don't want anybody calling me Großmutter :eeps:
Please advise...

;)
You should be able to enjoy the autobahn. I am not sure what will be the gear ratio for the E90, but if it's similar to the E46, you sould be fine. I just picked up an E46 coupe last month. All US spec cars have an electronic speed limiter of 128mph I think. That's about 4300 rpm in 6th grear, and you are supposed to stay below 4500 rpm. You should be fine.

I actually did almost the same thing you did - I picked up in Munich, drove to Vienna, dropped off car there, then backpacked through Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland via Eurorail. I did some research into driving in these countries and decided against it. Throughout my entire trip in the Eastern European countries, I have never seen ANY nice cars. I think your car will definitely stand out, and I think you definitely need to be extremely careful.

I didn't drive so my options were quite limited. In Poland, definitely visit the Auschwitz concentratio camp - it was quite a moving experience. In Czech Republic, we visited Prague and the Karlstejn Castle (about half hour from Prague). If I had more time in Czech Republic, I'd visit Cesky Krumlov (a few hours from Prague) and Kunta Hora (another town that's like a hour from Prague). I don't know much about Hungary - we just visited Budapest and that was pretty much it. If I had more time I would have gone to Romania and visit Count Dracula's castle.

·
---------
459 Posts
rojasorone said:
Please advise...

;)
In Poland you should definitely be aware of quite bad conditions of the roads (avoid holes) as well as crime in some big cities. Your car will be probably one of the most expensive in the city so I would try to park it in secure places with surviliance. Also, no need to feel alarmed when kids will be checking your car through the windows, they are usually just curious about the maximum speed :) Vandalism is not uncommon either so, again, try to keep your car in safe places. Auschwitz (Polish "Oswiecim") and Krakow are rather a must-see in south of Poland.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just picked up my e60 and originally wanted to go see my mother in Poland,but decided against it after reading some of the State Dept. Warnings for car theft.I am not sure if they are still valid?

I think if you have a friendly place to park the car out of sight you should be okay and don't drive if you don't have to. Polish roads may ot be the same as in Germany, but living in Michigan I think the roads here are probably worse than in Poland. As to the cars in Poland, there are quite a few wealthy people in Poland these days and and they don't drive Polish Fiats any more, plenty of BMW's on the roads there now.

I think next time (hopefully in 3 years) I do ED again, I think I'll attempt the drive to Poland via Prague. Will just try to book hotels with inside parking.

As far as the break in period, kee it under 4000 rpm. My 545 could do 140 mph at around 4500 rpm and I don't think it suffered in any way, just vary the speed when you can.

Poland is a very pretty country especially in the summer. Don't miss Krakow. If you come in through Prague go to Zakopane and then go to Krakow to Warsaw.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
We're doing ED on my wife's X3 at the end of June. We are planning Prague and Vienna. I have been to Prague before and found it reasonably safe, especially compared to other ex-communist countries out there (I should know, I'm from there originally).

I will most definitely park in a secured location in Prague. But unlike some other posters that have responded, I am under no illusions whatsoever that the X3 will be one of the more expensive cars in town. Quite a few newly minted millionaires and billionaires in Eastern Europe...

I have never been to Poland so I cannot offer any advice there.

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
668 Posts
There are quite a bit of nice cars in Czech Republic and Poland. You'll see several BMWs in big cities. Not nearly as many as you'd see in the US or in Germany as they are prohibitively expensive. On my last trip to Warsaw this year I've seen tons of E34s, E30s, few new 7 series, about 5 E46s (all diesels) and 3 new 1 series.
New BMWs are there but they are definitely rare. There is actually a very active BMW Car Club of Poland (www.bmw-klub.pl) Car theft is nowhere near as bad as it used to be due to better border protection/enforcement but it is still there. Most of these cars find their way somehow to the former Soviet Union countries - the land of ultimate corruption and disregard for the law.
I feel very safe in Poland and in Czech Republic - definitely see Prague and Krakow.
Would I take my new BMW there during ED? No. Oh, and I am Polish. Just to give you the perspective.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is important top check if the BMW car insurance is covered in the country you plan to visit. Last time we asked they had a surcharge for some of the countries you mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts