Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 BMW 325i, and recently put an aFe Cold Air Intake in. After driving for a while (~240 miles) the SES light came on. So i wouldn't void my warranty, i took the cold air intake off and put the stock filter in before i took it to BMW. This has happened 2 times in a row, and both times at about 200 miles after installing the aFe cold air intake. BMW said that it was something to do with my fuel ciphening from one tank to the other and also with my fuel pump...so they fixed both. The SES light came on again after getting both of those things fixed 2 times in a row, so i am almost certain that sometime dealing with my cold air intake is causing the SES light to come on. Do you know what the problem could be and how I could fix the SES light? Please help!

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Go to Pep Boys and have the codes read, post them here and we will see what's actually going on. The light comes on for a reason and codes will tell you what it is. If it's anything in the intake tract, then you'll know for sure.

Have you cleaned and oiled the filter recently? I'd bet most of the problems people with non-stock filters have is over oiling and fouling the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only driven about 2,000 miles with the intake on...therefor i have not cleaned and oiled it yet. Do i need to do that? Would too much air be flowing through?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
aotyboy said:
I have only driven about 2,000 miles with the intake on...therefor i have not cleaned and oiled it yet. Do i need to do that? Would too much air be flowing through?
I think the only way it would flow too much air is if it was not installed correctly and there was a leak.

If you got the AFE new, I'd contact the vendor and ask what could cause it, but not until you find out what code(s) it's throwing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am almost certain that i installed the intake properly... I followed the directions and everything. If the light is on because the mixture is to lean, will it adjust after a lot of driving or is that just something that will not change?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what would cause a leak? and how would this leak cause the SES light to come on? i'm sorry i may be retarded but its just pretty annoying

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
aotyboy said:
what would cause a leak? and how would this leak cause the SES light to come on? i'm sorry i may be retarded but its just pretty annoying
I have an ECIS intake on my car. At some point, the SES light came on. On a hunch, I pulled into a gas station and sure enough, the filter connection hose (the thick elbow) had come out. I was essentially getting non-filtered air into the engine.

A leak means your intake system is not completely "sealed". It may have a gap on the connecting hose, or one of the hose clamps may not be tight enough, or the hose may be cracked, or it may be installed incorrectly... you get the idea. In time, it can cause the SES light to come on. But the computer code will point to an intake leak...

Inspect your intake very carefully. Have someone rev the car up moderately, while you listen and prod your intake. Post a picture here, so someone with a similar intake as yours can confirm the proper installation.

Good luck,

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the codes pulled today, and the code read out that the system was running lean in bank 1 and the second code said it was running lean in bank 2. The guy in AutoZone said this most likely is caused by the MAF sensor. I have checked all connections and everything seems to be connected correctly, and tight on the aFe CAI. I refuse to take it into the dealership with the aFe CAI on the car because i do not want to get stuck paying $400 for a new MAF sensor. Any ideas?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I did a little poking around at Fanatics on the issue and found some talk about the ECU adapting to the new intake. Some said they got the SES light and when read the codes, same issue you are having. But, they said it went away after 5-10 minutes. Sounds like your SES comes on and stays on. Have you tried just driving with it on for a while and see if it goes out, now that you know what it is?

Maybe resetting your computer will help? I can understand why the codes are throwing, but having never had the problem with my 3.0l engines, i just wonder if it's a slight difference in the programming between the software for the 330 vs 325?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, i have tried driving around for a while (200 miles with the SES light on)... Still it does not go out. I have disconnected the battery for 3hrs to try to reset the code but it came on the instant i turned the car on. I have checked all hoses and connections and they were tight. I talked to the dealership today and another guy told me it was probrably a vacuum leak that caused the SES light to turn on and throw the code - running lean on bank 1 and on bank 2. The only thing i can think of now is that something is wrong with the MAF sensor or something is wrong with the actual aFe CAI, and it is causing a leak. I am too scared to take it into the dealership on Monday with the CAI on, so i replaced the stock intake (to avoid having to possibly pay for a new MAF sensor). Would the leak probrably not show up when they look at it because the aFe is not on? :bigpimp:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...it turned out that the cap on the fuel filter was not put on correctly...causing a vacuum leak and throwing the code that it was running lean....thanks to all who helped

·
I shift my own gears!
299 Posts
aotyboy said:
Well...it turned out that the cap on the fuel filter was not put on correctly...causing a vacuum leak and throwing the code that it was running lean....thanks to all who helped
:slap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts