Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I was close too moving on multiple times during the 11 year ownership of the 2009 35d. I would say it was my favorite BMW, and i've had many. Several M3s .. but the X5 diesel was my fav.

I replaced it with a 2017 X5 35i and I already miss the diesel and the firm steering. I even like the old CCC idrive over this new one. The new one is so cluttered and overly complicated.

Nevertheless .. it was time to move on. At 167,000 miles I knew I needed to do the replacement DPF. Also had some issues with fuel and the injectors. I decided to call it a day !

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
The new ones just don't and feel and drive like the E70.
All the fancy interior lighting and screen and complicated menus just does not enhance driving experience.
Even the KIA Telluride has a great infotainment system and interiors.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,135 Posts
DOnt be a stranger. At least you didnt buy a Kia.

;)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yes, I was close too moving on multiple times during the 11 year ownership of the 2009 35d. I would say it was my favorite BMW, and i've had many. Several M3s .. but the X5 diesel was my fav.

I replaced it with a 2017 X5 35i and I already miss the diesel and the firm steering. I even like the old CCC idrive over this new one. The new one is so cluttered and overly complicated.

Nevertheless .. it was time to move on. At 167,000 miles I knew I needed to do the replacement DPF. Also had some issues with fuel and the injectors. I decided to call it a day !
Are you sure it was time to do something about the DPF? Were you getting the one-time on-screen warning about the DPF at 10 minutes after startup and the yellow DPF symbol on the cluster? You probably had codes 452A and 4D4A set. 452A is an information only code for BMW service to advise the customer that the DPF is approaching its calculated end of life and they should make an appointment soon for an expensive DPF replacement. The remaining DPF life is a calculated value and based on a number of parameters. There is no set mileage when this occurs. Code 4D4A gets set when the calculated remaining life reaches 0 km and triggers the one-time DPF warning and yellow DPF symbol. These codes DO NOT necessarily mean the DPF is "full" yet. These are advisory codes for BMW service to advise the customer that they should schedule an expensive DPF replacement soon. As long as regens are still occurring and power and mileage are all normal, you don't have to do anything about the DPF yet.

My 2012 X5 35d is only at 246k miles and still has the original DPF. Code 452A was triggered around 155k miles and code 4D4A was triggered at 171k miles. There is no set mileage where these codes get triggered but these are the numbers when I got the codes. I regularly check to make sure regens are still occurring normally using the Carly smartphone app and OBD-II Bluetooth adapter. Regens are still occurring normally like they should and power and mileage are still 100% normal. I expect I will eventually need to do something with the DPF around 280k - 300k miles. The car is a long term keeper (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon. It looks like I will eventually find out how far I can go on the original DPF.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Eleven years is a good run. When it's time to move on you know it. I made the same bittersweet move a few months back and the X5d will also be one of the cars I most fondly remember.
Congrats on the lengthy ownership and your new acquisition.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I did not test drive X7 yet, but I liked very much G05 50i (before M50i was available). I am wondering how you accepted going from 35d to 35i. Even my wife after a test drive noticed the difference and said the 35i was likely broken :)

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,400 Posts
Like that Seinfeld episode where Cramer sees how far he can go on a single tank of gas in a Saab :rofl:
My 240K miles 1970 SAAB 99 is the one I miss most.

·
What was that?
806 Posts

Gotta ask: Did you trade in? If yes, care telling us what they offered for it?

Last time I got a trade value for my 35i w/125K miles the local dealer offered $4K :mad:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not test drive X7 yet, but I liked very much G05 50i (before M50i was available). I am wondering how you accepted going from 35d to 35i. Even my wife after a test drive noticed the difference and said the 35i was likely broken :)
Because i tend to keep the cars a long time, I just couldnt go through the hassle again of another diesel. Not that the engine isn't great, but its all the secondary systems and the emission system. So decided to go with the petrol. Its not as good as the diesel, but its OK. If it just me in the car I dont notice it so much. When you load it up and have cargo ... thats when you really notice the difference IMO.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta ask: Did you trade in? If yes, care telling us what they offered for it?

Last time I got a trade value for my 35i w/125K miles the local dealer offered $4K :mad:
Yea, I did trade it in. Because of the COVID and all that, I didn't want to be bothered dealing with a bunch of strangers test driving the car and stuff so did a trade. They gave me $5K. I reckon i could have got $7/8K private. But then I got a decent discount on the pre-certified used so its horses for courses. Car needed a service + the DPF eventually + some other bits and pieces ... so if you look at the bigger picture ... its fine i guess.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yea, I did trade it in. Because of the COVID and all that, I didn't want to be bothered dealing with a bunch of strangers test driving the car and stuff so did a trade. They gave me $5K. I reckon i could have got $7/8K private. But then I got a decent discount on the pre-certified used so its horses for courses. Car needed a service + the DPF eventually + some other bits and pieces ... so if you look at the bigger picture ... its fine i guess.
You did the right thing. It is too much hassle dealing with strangers test driving and you sitting with them and then the haggling.

I have always traded my cars , almost half a dozen of them

Its just not worth the hassle and time.

You can save your time and energy getting a good deal on your next car :dunno:

·
What was that?
806 Posts
You did the right thing. It is too much hassle dealing with strangers test driving and you sitting with them and then the haggling.

I have always traded my cars , almost half a dozen of them

Its just not worth the hassle and time.

You can save your time and energy getting a good deal on your next car :dunno:
In the current environment where you don't know what is what in regard to COVID, I'd agree that whatever reduces exposure is probably the best way to go.

Now... I'd be daydreaming if I think I can get a "better deal on my next car" when I trade in mine. Dealer sales people are among the best trained closers in the world, especially in the US, and even moreso on high-end vehicles.

A trade-in is more than bread and butter for a dealer, it's the cherry on top of the sundae that is on top of a seven layer cake of money for them... unless off course, you're talking about something with over 100K miles and worth well under $10K, in which case the dealer simply floats out to auction and moves on to the next car.

I still agree that today the convenience and safety value is much higher than in the past. I recently sold my Land Cruiser and the number of things I had to do to ensure I was being safe and at the same time in control of what was going on was intense... All played out well, but it was exhausting.

·
Registered
622 Posts
@OP, that's a good run! I just hit 140K miles, and just 2 months over 10 years of ownership. I almost traded my X5D in a couple years ago when I had to replace the SCR Cat, but decided to keep it after driving some other SUV's out there. I'd like to get to 200K miles, and I just plan for $500-1500 in maintenance/repairs every year. Speaking of which, I just got a 4804 code after a trip to the beach.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
11 years is definitely a good run, definitely beats my 10 year run. :) Seems like a lot of old timers are moving on.....

There are a lot of things I miss about the E70 including the hydraulic steering and adaptive drive, which my F15 35D doesn't have. The dual turbos also seemed to provide more grunt for towing than the single turbo setup in the N57

1 - 15 of 15 Posts