BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2012 535 M Sport a few months ago. While I like many aspects of the car (specifically the looks, it is one of the MOST annoying cars I have every owned.

Every time I drive the car, I am slapped in the face with the fact that I have to remember to turn off the start / stop button place the car into Sport Mode. When I exist the car, I have to screw around to get the car to fully turn off, manually unlock the doors, and then carry that ridiculously large key around in my pocket ... it should have come with a belt clip!

I really just don't understand the lack of usability in this car that that I have in my S550 as well my Chevrolet Tahoe.

· Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Start/Stop can be programmed to remember your last setting or it can be disabled completely...I think dealers are also doing this now.

Sport mode change? i dont know..... to me it just became a second nature .. well it doesn't annoy me as i know about it before buying the car..

and car key size ? i think it is little oversized but comfort access should solve the issue little bit.

Honestly if these are the issues then one should/would know during test drives..... sorry to hear you not satisfied with your car but little home work before buying a premium car for 50-60k would have helped you (No Offense :thumbup:)

· Registered
440 Posts

· Registered
521 Posts
I bought a 2012 535 M Sport a few months ago. While I like many aspects of the car (specifically the looks, it is one of the MOST annoying cars I have every owned.

Every time I drive the car, I am slapped in the face with the fact that I have to remember to turn off the start / stop button place the car into Sport Mode. When I exist the car, I have to screw around to get the car to fully turn off, manually unlock the doors, and then carry that ridiculously large key around in my pocket ... it should have come with a belt clip!

I really just don't understand the lack of usability in this car that that I have in my S550 as well my Chevrolet Tahoe.
We haven't had a really good F10 bashing on this board in a couple of months. I guess we were about due.:tsk:

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Disable the stupid automatic door locks. Makes it a lot easier to get out.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
While I love my car, I have to admit that it is by a very large margin the most frustrating car I have ever owned. The OP makes good points, along with the fact that the car is almost impossible to drive smoothly due to the throttle tip in, and they way the car downshifts and holds first gear at low speeds as you take your foot off the gas. BMW really needs to realize that these quirks have no redeeming quality and need to be fixed.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not bashing the 535 but these are pretty fundamental / basic things that I think should be standard or non issues, without downloading a 36G software program to correct myself.

I think my failure to identify these things in advance was not doing a long enough test drive or multiple test drives.

I bought the car because the F10 design is amazing, I love the M-Sport Look, and the 535 gas mileage is fantastic. it's just unreasonable to go through the steps it takes to 'configure' the car to drive every single time I turn on / off the car.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Just get the auto start/stop thing programmed to being off and that would fix that.

Complaining about going into sport mode is like saying its a pain that you have to shift through N, R before you get into D for a traditional transmission. Not really a big deal i'd say.

As for manually unlocking the doors doesn't pulling on the handle twice automatically unlocks and opens the doors? This has always been the case with my previous bmw's.

Alan

· The Driver
4,804 Posts
The start-stop can be programmed to stay off. Your other concerns are really trivial.

You should love the 535i. There are much more annoying features in your S550:
- Why the **** did they put the gear stick on the steering wheel?
- Why does the cruise control accidentally get activated every time you are trying to use the turn signal?
- 3 second throttle delay and it doesn't even have turbos!
- Boat like handling which makes Lincoln seem like a sports car

· Registered
2,510 Posts
that the car is almost impossible to drive smoothly due to the throttle tip in
And for this alone my wife didn't like riding with me in the F10.

When my BMW dealer and escalating to BMWNA refused to respond to my request to even upgrade software I just traded it.

Also stopped the plans for a new F30 for my wife given the expectation of the same issues.

· Registered
521 Posts
I'm not bashing the 535 but these are pretty fundamental / basic things that I think should be standard or non issues, without downloading a 36G software program to correct myself.

I think my failure to identify these things in advance was not doing a long enough test drive or multiple test drives.

I bought the car because the F10 design is amazing, I love the M-Sport Look, and the 535 gas mileage is fantastic. it's just unreasonable to go through the steps it takes to 'configure' the car to drive every single time I turn on / off the car.
There is not one thing that you are complaining about that was not easily known or knowable with some basic research prior to pulling the trigger.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is not one thing that you are complaining about that was not easily known or knowable with some basic research prior to pulling the trigger.
Did my research, yes they are know problems. but hard to assimilate what they mean day in and day out until you have the car a few days.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The start-stop can be programmed to stay off. Your other concerns are really trivial.

You should love the 535i. There are much more annoying features in your S550:
- Why the **** did they put the gear stick on the steering wheel?
- Why does the cruise control accidentally get activated every time you are trying to use the turn signal?
- 3 second throttle delay and it doesn't even have turbos!
- Boat like handling which makes Lincoln seem like a sports car
As it should be at $110K, the S550 is a solid car. in the S550, when i put the car in park, the doors unlock, it maintains the Sport Setting, etc. These are all of the things that I was discussing about the 535. In terms of the throttle delay and it handling worse than a lincoln, those are ridiculous statements. I have the AMG package it it handles fantastic for that size of a car and the throttle response is fantastic for any size car.

· Registered
521 Posts
Did my research, yes they are know problems. but hard to assimilate what they mean day in and day out until you have the car a few days.
I am truly sorry the few issues you have with the car spoil the enjoyment for you. For me, neither the fob or having to pull on the door handle twice is an issue, and the tip in is really not noticeable once I learned how to smoothly accelerate from a start in comfort mode. It is rare I feel the need to mash the gas from a stop light/stop sign, and if I do, I usually put it is sport and use manual shifting.

Be that as it may, if you have had the car several months and it irritates you to drive it now, it probably isn't going to be any better in a year. Unless money is an issue, and given your stable of cars I surmise it isn't, you should unload the car and get something that you love to drive. For those of us who truly love cars, driving a car that provides only a lukewarm experience is torture.

Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.

· Registered
426 Posts
Sell the car and move on. Im sorry, but pulling on the door handle twice to unlock is common to anyone who has owned or been in a BMW before. Its become second nature to me and I don't even notice doing it. It sounds like your merc spoiled you, to each their own i guess.
I love my F10, granted I wish it had an N54 instead of an N55, but aside from that I'm happy as a clam.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.