Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the BMW world, purchased a 2001 X5 3.0i, seller just replaced the battery, and before replacement all the bells and whistles worked. When checking the car out upon purchase, there are numerous electrical functions that don’t work, rear windows, heater/ ac, rear hatch, and prolly others I haven’t noticed yet. Car starts fine, runs great, and I drove it home with no problems.

I was pretty sure that there was some kinda reset that needed to be done after the battery replacement that did t get done. Searched google and not finding what I need, tried the oil service reset, won’t work, nothing on dash when hitting trip button.

Seen a blurb on disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and reconnecting to reset Ecu, not sure if that’s gonna do it or not, so came here for help. Haven’t went through the multitude of fuses yet in glove box or rear panel, hoping for a easy reset procedure after the battery replacement.

Any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
The only things that need to be reset after replacing the battery is the sunroof, clock, and date. If I missed anything...I***8217;m sure someone will chime in. :D

Make sure you know what size battery was used...hopefully they used the proper sized battery (49/H8 battery class size). If they didn't...an undersized battery could be causing the electrical gremlins you're experiencing.

Do you have a battery charger or battery tender? If so, perhaps the "new" battery was sitting on the shelf for a while and is slightly discharged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the 5sec gas pedal, 2 mins key off, pull key reinsert, drive the car for a bit to reset ecu, no help, and also pulled neg batt cable for 30mi s and reinstalled, didn’t do nothing either.

Alarm is going off every now and again as well but shuts off after a bit.

Checked all the fuses in the rear compartment, all visually look fine.

Went check fuses in glove box, and wow, there a gazillion, can’t read nothing in there, print is way to small, gonna need a magnifying glass to see what I’m pulling.

Almost thinking I’m gonna need to go to a dealer and have um plug in and see what all is going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only things that need to be reset after replacing the battery is the sunroof, clock, and date.

Make sure you know what size battery was used...hopefully they used the proper sized battery (49/H8 battery class size). If they didn't...an undersized battery could be causing the electrical gremlins you're experiencing.

Do you have a battery charger or battery tender? If so, perhaps the "new" battery was sitting on the shelf for a while and is slightly discharged.
Thank you for the input, much appreciated, I drove the car home for1.5 hrs last night, so I would think it would have a full charge at this point. Starts fine, runs great, just some electrical not working. Rear windows, rear hatch, heater ac, right now the defrosters are on, lol.

I’ll check the battery size, just weird half the electrical works fine, and others not

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only things that need to be reset after replacing the battery is the sunroof, clock, and date. If I missed anything...I'm sure someone will chime in. :D

Battery is a everstart platinum part#agm H7

850 cold cranking amps
140 reserve capacity
80 amp hrs

So I guess maybe the battery is t the right one, as you stated it needs to be a H8, and this one says H7.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Battery is a everstart platinum part#agm H7

850 cold cranking amps
140 reserve capacity
80 amp hrs

So I guess maybe the battery is t the right one, as you stated it needs to be a H8, and this one says H7.
It***8217;s around the lowest specs recommended for an e53 X5...but probably shouldn***8217;t create the problems you mention. You can get an idea of various battery specs between the H7/H8/H9 batteries in the chart below. Even though chart below is for East Penn batteries...the specs of other branded batteries will have similar specs for the same class sized batteries. And most BMWs with a ***8220;5***8221; (or higher) nomenclature in their model number...uses a 49/H8 or 95R/H9 battery class size. These aforementioned battery class sizes have the electrical specs to power all the features of these larger body BMWs:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well great, after all the messing around this am, the car now has a rough idle, wtf. Poking buttons and trying to do resets and the idle goes south, jebus

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used foxwell to bump my idle up on both mine and wife's x5 and I'm very happy with the result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I shut the car off the alarm goes off for a bit, not to long 30 sec or so, while in the glove box checking the fuses, when removing and reinstalling alarm fuse it goes of as well. Any ideas, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went through all the fuses in glove box and only found one bad fuse, was for the rear defroster button. Replaced and light on that button now works.

Still without head, nothing works,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woohoo, got all the havac going, seems the associated 50A fuse In glove box just needed reseated. So heat and air work, ran and all that. No longer getting the alarm either after pulling all the fuses and checking them, alls good with that.

So I still have these problems.....

Upper/lower rear hatch buttons Don***8217;t work (thinking the relay in the rear might be buggered)
Both rear passenger windows don***8217;t work, haven***8217;t a clue were to start
Windshield wipers don***8217;t work, says there***8217;s a fuse box in the engine bay on the pass side but I do t see it. There***8217;s a wiper relay in there so the diagram states.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying now to figure out what***8217;s wrong with my rear hatch, top or bottom won***8217;t work. The fuse diagram I found( they are like the one I have on google) shows three relays on the right hand side, the one in my car only has one, no plugs for more. I don***8217;t have the air leveling system, so maybe that***8217;s why. Anyway does anyone e have a clue what***8217;s up, I was hopeing it***8217;s the rear latch relay but have no way to be sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts