BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lowered my 540i!
Koni sport shocks/struts, H&R sport springs were $935 from shox.com, had them installed at Bimmerhaus in Broomfield, CO for $645 including alignment.
It rides very smooth and creamy, they're at full soft setting. I should've set them on half turn from full soft, but oh well...
Handles 10X better than worn-out factory shocks.
The fronts dropped from 15.25 to 13.50, but the rears dropped from 15.25 to 14.70 only!:eek:
I am going to put 18" M-pars staggered. Is the rear supposed to be that high after lowering? Is it ever going to get lower?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm not sure how you measured the absolute drop, but the relative amounts are typical.

Mine dropped roughly 1.5" in front and 0.25" in back. The rear was fine before anyway (I started with the sports suspension).

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From fender lip to wheel center - mine dropped exactly same as yours 1.5" in front and maybe .4" inches in back - most other members have dropped 1" in the back. I looked at the rear Koni shocks - they used lower of the two grooves for spring perch - they should've used the upper one for more spring compression. Either way I'm not too happy with the way rear looks...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
M Division said:
From fender lip to wheel center - mine dropped exactly same as yours 1.5" in front and maybe .4" inches in back - most other members have dropped 1" in the back. I looked at the rear Koni shocks - they used lower of the two grooves for spring perch - they should've used the upper one for more spring compression. Either way I'm not too happy with the way rear looks...
Yeah, I remember going with the lesser drop in the back. Looks perfect on my car, but if you aren't happy, have them redo the rears or it will eat at you.

Bill

·
Registered
347 Posts
645 for instalation? Thats alot of scratch. Oh well car looks great. Congrats.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The back usually isn't dropped as much as the front. Mostly to compensate for the gas tank and people in the back seat to keep from rubbing. Car looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tuckermoore said:
The back usually isn't dropped as much as the front. Mostly to compensate for the gas tank and people in the back seat to keep from rubbing. Car looks great.
You sure? How come all the lowered cars I've seen here has the back dropped so you barely see the top of tire? On VietSB suspension survey, the back is supposed to be at 14" not 14.7" and he strongly recommends the lower setting. I wonder if they can refit the perch to the other groove without redoing the whole thing over again...

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
M Division said:
The rear Konis have 3 grooves where a snap ring goes that supports the spring perch.

Middle groove is for factory ht. Other 2 grooves are 0.6" higher and 0.6" lower.

You should use the middle groove, for stock ht, and the springs will drop the car their advertised amount.

If you used BMW factory springs and put the Koni on the center groove then you would have normal ride ht.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts