Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoying E46 & E70
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 BMW X5 30i. 95K miles. No issues to speak of, until now...

So starter died a week ago. Bought a new Bosch starter and research
here and elswhere how to remove the old and install the new starter.
Quite a PIA, especially that long top bolt ON THE STARTER.
As you all know, removing the intake is a must.

Fast forward to completion and first start... Then this happen. (See video.):mad:

https://youtu.be/6oHs6Pq869Q

CEL pop up, Idrive shows transmission malfunction. I should point out that the
vehicle was drivig just fine before the starter went south. It drives but doesn't
change out at all. Like it is stuck in one gear. It even moves off slower than normal,
but picks up seconds after. Researching this or similar problems doesn't yield any result,
but I'm sure it happens to someone else before.

I try to be reaaaal careful in re-connecting ALL the wires I disconnected when removing
the air intake. Including the straigh wire from battery positive to starter and alternator.
The main battery positive cable remain connected all the time.

But now, I'm second guessing myself, and
wonder this mean something else?:dunno:

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,217 Posts
The crankshaft position sensor is right there near the starter - really under the front of it. My first check would be the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor.

Should have also said that when crankshaft position sensor is wonky, it may blame the transmission.

·
Enjoying E46 & E70
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok twh, thanks. I will check on it. And reply if there're any change.

·
CALS
74 Posts
2009 BMW X5 30i. 95K miles. No issues to speak of, until now...

So starter died a week ago. Bought a new Bosch starter and research
here and elswhere how to remove the old and install the new starter.
Quite a PIA, especially that long top bolt ON THE STARTER.
As you all know, removing the intake is a must.

Fast forward to completion and first start... Then this happen. (See video.):mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fauu0455OU8

CEL pop up, Idrive shows transmission malfunction. I should point out that the
vehicle was drivig just fine before the starter went south. It drives but doesn't
change out at all. Like it is stuck in one gear. It even moves off slower than normal,
but picks up seconds after. Researching this or similar problems doesn't yield any result,
but I'm sure it happens to someone else before.

I try to be reaaaal careful in re-connecting ALL the wires I disconnected when removing
the air intake. Including the straigh wire from battery positive to starter and alternator.
The main battery positive cable remain connected all the time.

But now, I'm second guessing myself, and
wonder this mean something else?:dunno:

Any help is appreciated

Sorry to hear that - just to note that removing the Intake is not required (at least not completely), only need to remove bolts and make a bit of space. Also, the Intake Gaskets (x6) need to be replaced....

Hope you fix the issue.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,217 Posts
Sorry to hear that - just to note that removing the Intake is not required (at least not completely), only need to remove bolts and make a bit of space. Also, the Intake Gaskets (x6) need to be replaced....

Hope you fix the issue.
I've done two N52 starters. Would not try to do it with the intake in place. Not enough room. Too many brittle vacuum hoses to risk breaking. Too hard to get the rear long bolt. No way to really get a torque wrench in there upon assembly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,790 Posts
Make sure the battery is fully charged.

·
Enjoying E46 & E70
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The crankshaft position sensor is right there near the starter - really under the front of it. My first check would be the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor.

Should have also said that when crankshaft position sensor is wonky, it may blame the transmission.
Further investigation shows that the crankshaft position sensor on my X5 is on the passenger side.
Of course the loom crosses over and above to the driver side.

Make sure the battery is fully charged.
Battery was kept on a maintainer during the process. Turn over is powerful and rapid,
but it does take a couple seconds longer than usual to start... sign there is a problem?

I forgot to mentioned that I cleaned the butterfly of the throttle body during the starter swap.
Eventually, I remove the intake again and double check all the connections. All good.
I research and found that the throttle body sensor is somehow link to the transmission.
And this would require resetting of the tranny once throttle body is cleaned.

Long story short, I found out how it's done and do all this. Still no difference.
What am I missing here? :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8U1p8Mtt4

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,217 Posts
Further investigation shows that the crankshaft position sensor on my X5 is on the passenger side.
Of course the loom crosses over and above to the driver side.

Battery was kept on a maintainer during the process. Turn over is powerful and rapid,
but it does take a couple seconds longer than usual to start... sign there is a problem?

I forgot to mentioned that I cleaned the butterfly of the throttle body during the starter swap.
Eventually, I remove the intake again and double check all the connections. All good.
I research and found that the throttle body sensor is somehow link to the transmission.
And this would require resetting of the tranny once throttle body is cleaned.

Long story short, I found out how it's done and do all this. Still no difference.
What am I missing here? :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8U1p8Mtt4
If you have a 2009 X5 3.0si, then you have the N52 engine. That engine has the starter on the drivers side, under the intake manifold at the rear of the engine. That engine has the crankshaft position sensor just about under the starter.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,790 Posts
Hmmmm. Check your ground straps- battery to chassis, chassis to engine...

·
Enjoying E46 & E70
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You were spot on twh. Turns out the CPS plug broke away and hang down in a curving fashion under the engine mount.
No wonder I could not catch it twice on inspection. This may have happen by my clumsy self while removing the old or installing the new starter.
Which I was mislead that the CPS was on the passenger side. I will only heed advice on the forum from now on. :D

So anyway, I bought a new plug from the dealer and replaced the broken one.
Not fun working with freezing fingers, with temperature in the garage at 15 degrees.
All is well now. engine fires up quickly and the tranny shifts smoothly as usual.

And a big Thanks to this wonderful forum and its supportive members...
acknowledging twh and ard... life is good again. :thumbup:

Hopefully, someone will learn from my experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm glad you got that fixed. What happened to your starter? (i.e., how did you know it was your starter and not another problem?). I ask because I think mine died a couple of weeks ago when I tried to start the car at -13 degree F. Now the starter doesn't do anything when I hit the start button.

·
Enjoying E46 & E70
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad you got that fixed. What happened to your starter? (i.e., how did you know it was your starter and not another problem?).
I ask because I think mine died a couple of weeks ago when I tried to start the car at -13 degree F.
Now the starter doesn't do anything when I hit the start button.
One morning the starter just didn't have any life whatsoever.
Couldn't have happen at a better place than my garage.
Press push start button and silence... Nada,.. Zilch, nothing.

Looking back I realized that starting was a bit hesitant. Went on for about three months.
It would catch but didn't turn the motor until about a second or two.
So yep, this was the sign it was on its way to the grave.

Replacing your starter is a good first move. IMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts