BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I had bought an X3 4 yrs ago. Now the 4 yrs 50k miles warranty has expired. I had bought an extended warranty and sales person convinced that i don't have to worry for 6 yrs and 100k miles :) But looks like things are much more complicated as extended warranty doesn't even cover regular maintenance :(

Today, I had taken the car as check engine light was ON. I was told by dealership person that it's better to replace the tires as they have worn out at the edges. Actually to be fair, front tires did seem worn out, but back tires seemed fine to me. He convinced that it's better to replace both as back tires at 4 1/2 (some measurement) and front tires are 2 1/2. The sticker came to me when the cost of goodyear tires was around 1600 $ to replace and align them.

After 4yrs warranty expires,

1. What big ticket items do you guys expect ?
2. Do most owners go to BMW for servicing etc after the warranty expiration ?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,409 Posts
I don***8217;t expect any big ticket items. I am prepared to pay for anything up to replacement.

It is quite likely that your BMW needs a proper and precise alignment to your advised numbers. Mine is aligned to 0.02° toe-in all around, and mid-range camber left and right. BMW allows almost anything to be at the mechanic***8217;s convenience. I preemptively replaced my previous Br*dg*st*n*s at 40K miles with half-tread remaining. Learn to use www.NewTIS.info

My BMW is serviced at a BMW Service Center other than the one from which I purchased. I went back to the purchasing dealer once for maintenance and saw the absolute mess the mechanic left under the hood. There is one quality indie in the state and he wants to be just like the BMW Service Center when he grows up - but not on my dime. His costs are equal or worse than the dealer.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
BMW's are complex vehicles. That complexity is what makes them drive better than a Chevy Cobalt. My 535i's rear suspension has about ten separate parts. My Cobalt's rear suspension has one part.

Belts and tensioner probably should be replaced around 70k miles. The electric water pumps and thermostats can fail before 100k miles. If you have xDrive (AWD), the outer CV joint boots often fail, ruining the whole half-shaft. Engine leaks are another common problem that can pop up before 100k miles.

My favorite BMW dealership, Sansing BMW, Pensacola, FL, is great. So, I take my cars there for service. I even take my Cobalt there for tire installation and repair. I used to live in Virginia and bought my first BMW there. If I moved back there, I'd sell our BMW's before doing so.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,478 Posts
It really does depend on 2 things

1> how your car was built and how many w'tee work was done (lemon or not)

2> How you maintained, as obvious as it sounds, regular oil changes helps a lot, I do twice a year oil changes and mid way just a filter change

3> I also use 99% OEM parts and fluids

my car has been pretty reliable, a few issues nothing too major

look after you car DONT CHEAP OUT use OEM, you will have a better life

(most expensive work was a sensor change under w'tee)

Today, I had taken the car as check engine light was ON. I was told by dealership person that it's better to replace the tires as they have worn out at the edges. Actually to be fair, front tires did seem worn out, but back tires seemed fine to me. He convinced that it's better to replace both as back tires at 4 1/2 (some measurement) and front tires are 2 1/2. The sticker came to me when the cost of goodyear tires was around 1600 $ to replace and align them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts