BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what wire to hook an amp up to in my trunk. All the pictures and wire schematics I've seen don't match what I have. My Stock amp has three plugs. One 26 and two 12 pin plugs. I have the amp working but it doesn't respond with the volume. It just stays at one loudness. So I turn the volume down and the bass is still on. I have DSP. Does anyone have any pictures of the right wire I should tap into? I'd really appreciate it thank you

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
You have DSP, right? Then you will need a GAS crossover, if they haven't shut down. If not you're SOL.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,212 Posts
I hate to be the forum police (not really) but what was wrong with the exact same thread you started just hours earlier?

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
G.A.S. = German Audio Specialities

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

I'll Cut & paste my response from the other thread here ;

Hi,

You can't directly add a traditional 2/4/5 or even 6 channel aftermarket amplifier to the OEM DSP amp as it contains in internal crossover and outputs a specific band of frequencies per pair of outputs. Also, are you wishing to retain your (not very good) oem DSP speakers? if so, then you'll need to either purchase a JBL MS-8 processor with in built 8 channel amplifier rated at 8x30W RMS but is now discontinued, or the Mosconi ONE 60.8 processor with 8 channels of amplification, rated at 8X60W RMS. These units take the all outputs from the OEM DSP amplifier, use clever processing to 'clean' the signal up and then amplify it to output to either you oem DSP speakers or, more ideally, upgraded speakers.

If you are just trying to add some bass, then you can find out which speaker outputs from the DSP amp provide the 'low' frequencies and 'splice' to one channel of those and connect that to a speaker to RCA converter and then plug that output to the amplifier you are using. This method is the basic one and has limitations in terms of quality and performance. Also, due to the oem DSP amp RMS output not being all that powerful, any distortion you push it into to will be passed through the RCA converter to your amplifier, where it's then amplified and sent to your subwoofer. That distortion heats up the subwoofer voice coil and the number one reason for speaker failure is overheated voice coils. To compensate, you might turn the gain/bass down on the amplifier, which kind of defeats the purpose really. This method isn't one I'd recommend although it is the 'cheap and quick' way that many choose to do and are happy with the results. Plenty of those owners have then heard what's capable in a well setup and more quality orientated setup and been astonished in the difference

On the 'other channel' there were some 'issues' with the crossover solution and some customers ( a handful) weren't happy. The forum posts got a bit ugly with posts from GAS and affected customers were not happy. A 'fix/solution' was developed in amongst the posts and the last I read was that GAS decided not to make them for the E39 anymore along with the company experiencing financial difficulties. From the link above, it looks like they'll make them to special order only. A little while later, GAS were focusing on the E38 community of owners to sell the crossover to those guys, that was a few months ago now and I've not read any more about it. If you do get one, it's $380 and if you do experience the 'issue' of not good sound, then the frequency shaping module which is the 'fix/solution' is another $65. You'll need an aftermarket 5 channel amplifier so perhaps another $250 for a decent quality and brand unit. Any fitting costs will be extra if confidence in DIY isn't there and from feedback from those who did install it, allow perhaps a full working day to connect it all up properly and correctly.

Out of these two directions, by far the best choice is the JBL MS-8 or the Mosconi One 60.8 as they're from well established brands, are an electronic solution, have amplification built in, can be easily adjusted/tweaked, much easier to install/fit.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I made a second thread. I didn't know how to delete my first one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much Dennis. May I ask, what and how is the way to find that low frequencie output?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

I'm sure there's schematics of the pins of the DSP amplifier for which speaker pair is for each specific band of frequencies output. I personally don't follow this level of detail for oem audio as I much prefer aftermarket car audio which performs much better, so do have a search around.

Once you find that low range output, then if indeed to do use it to connect to a powered subwoofer solution, you then have the issue of placement depending on the size/shape etc. IF you go for a powered slimline subwoofer type product, then the best place in the E39 for it is here;

If you put a powered subwoofer in the boot/trunk and don't have the ski hatch, all the bass will stay there and all you'll get is 'vibrational bass', which is rubbish. That said, if you are happy with that, then all good, but efficiency is reduced by 95+ %.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did do a search. All I came up with was a two plug setup. That's why I'm asking questions here. I'll look some more

1 - 13 of 13 Posts