BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own and love my 2011 X5, it's got a brand new engine due to the drivetrain recall, I hope to get it to 300k miles. Currently at 160k. I'm wanting to freshen up the interior -- has anyone had success with LED strip lighting to make the interior feel more modern and fun? Can you send any pics?

Also, my car is one of the early builds -- and it cannot display music (or Waze) on the nav screen from my USB -- are there any aftermarket upgrades to integrate AppleCar Play? Do I need to purchase and install a second screen? :dunno:

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
In regards to tech upgrade, info you seek should be in this long thread:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841458

LED strips have been done. Looks tacky in my opinion, plus I like the dash / interior on the dim side when driving at night, but it;s been done. Search LED in this forum and you;re bound to find something.

·
What was that?
1,023 Posts
I own and love my 2011 X5, it's got a brand new engine due to the drivetrain recall, I hope to get it to 300k miles. Currently at 160k. I'm wanting to freshen up the interior -- has anyone had success with LED strip lighting to make the interior feel more modern and fun? Can you send any pics?

Also, my car is one of the early builds -- and it cannot display music (or Waze) on the nav screen from my USB -- are there any aftermarket upgrades to integrate AppleCar Play? Do I need to purchase and install a second screen? :dunno:
Someone here shared his results with LED light strips, which I think were pretty good, but got poor reception from the crowd here. I did a search but could not find...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I experienced a drive train failure (universal joint snapped) while driving 70 mph on the freeway, lost power steering, managed to manually steer car safely over to the shoulder. Super scary... lucky it wasn't an accident. It was like the innards were gutted by a giant hook, oil bled onto the asphalt. BMW hadn't yet initiated the recall in the U.S. but instantly resolved it and offered a new engine for free. It happened at about 85-90k. My goal is to get the car to 300k. I hope others didn't experience the failure at high speeds.

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.