BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Aftermarket Programs on our new 328i?

1812 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  drubinger
Took delivery this week on our fully loaded 2013 328i luxury line, our first BMW. :rofl:Upon cutting our check, the dealer offered us a list of "optional" programs. We did buy LoJack. That one seemed like a no-brainer. I have my own feelings on others, but would love this forum's thoughts on which ones are worth the money:
- Dent and Ding Protection for paintless ding repair, 3yr/$399, 5yr/$499
- Stone-X 3M Invisible Mask, 1/2 wrap $595, full wrap $895
- IBEX Surface Protection, Comprehensive exterior $499, interior $499 or both for $699
- Window tint, $599 (not getting it, don't need it)
- Tire and Wheel Protection, 3yr/$995, 5yr/$1195
- Extended Service Contract, 6yr/100K $2800, 7 yr/100K $3310
- BMW Maintenance Plan Upgrade for two more years, 6yr/100K $2095

Appreciate any thoughts on some or all of these. We have a few weeks to get back with our dealer on what we want. I hope this will also help anyone else buying their new BMW.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
if your car has bmw assist, there is already stolen vehicle tracking built in.
The ding program might be something I would be interested in and the extended Service Contract if I was buying the car. However check and see if you can get an extended warranty after the 4 year 50K miles BMW warranty is up. Why pay the money up front when you can have its use for 4 years. Everything else for me is a waste of money.
Took delivery this week on our fully loaded 2013 328i luxury line, our first BMW. :rofl:Upon cutting our check, the dealer offered us a list of "optional" programs. We did buy LoJack. That one seemed like a no-brainer. I have my own feelings on others, but would love this forum's thoughts on which ones are worth the money:
- Dent and Ding Protection for paintless ding repair, 3yr/$399, 5yr/$499
- Stone-X 3M Invisible Mask, 1/2 wrap $595, full wrap $895
- IBEX Surface Protection, Comprehensive exterior $499, interior $499 or both for $699
- Window tint, $599 (not getting it, don't need it)
- Tire and Wheel Protection, 3yr/$995, 5yr/$1195
- Extended Service Contract, 6yr/100K $2800, 7 yr/100K $3310
- BMW Maintenance Plan Upgrade for two more years, 6yr/100K $2095

Appreciate any thoughts on some or all of these. We have a few weeks to get back with our dealer on what we want. I hope this will also help anyone else buying their new BMW.
True. But friends have been telling me that the BMW Assist is lame when it comes to a stolen car. Since it is satellite-based, any knowledgeable thief can bypass it immediately or can hide the car out of satellite tracking range. The Lojak is embedded in the car tied right into the police and can't be disabled. Maybe I'm buying into the marketing, but it can't hurt.
if your car has bmw assist, there is already stolen vehicle tracking built in.
Window tint for $599 is ludicrous.

I've lived in Atlanta--how the heck do you "not need" tint?
The BMW Assist is based upon the GPS unit in the car, and the built-in cell phone. Notice that cell phones at 0.5 watts and lower work in parking garages and elevators - full metal jacket, baby.

Ask yourself this: what technology does LoJack use? An FM transmitter at 2.5 watts, which is trackable only within around 3-5 miles. The reality is that a cell phone has just as much range as the LoJack transmitter (more power from the cell tower, better receiver at the cell tower than the LoJack receiver in cop cars.) Also notice that cell phone tracking DOES NOT require the GPS to be working - it tracks by cell tower location, so you can get close then rdf in.

You're paying a lot for very little increase in security, IMO.
True. But friends have been telling me that the BMW Assist is lame when it comes to a stolen car. Since it is satellite-based, any knowledgeable thief can bypass it immediately or can hide the car out of satellite tracking range. The Lojak is embedded in the car tied right into the police and can't be disabled. Maybe I'm buying into the marketing, but it can't hurt.
Well put, and I appreciate the education on the topic. I will see if the dealer would give me my money back.
The BMW Assist is based upon the GPS unit in the car, and the built-in cell phone. Notice that cell phones at 0.5 watts and lower work in parking garages and elevators - full metal jacket, baby.

Ask yourself this: what technology does LoJack use? An FM transmitter at 2.5 watts, which is trackable only within around 3-5 miles. The reality is that a cell phone has just as much range as the LoJack transmitter (more power from the cell tower, better receiver at the cell tower than the LoJack receiver in cop cars.) Also notice that cell phone tracking DOES NOT require the GPS to be working - it tracks by cell tower location, so you can get close then rdf in.

You're paying a lot for very little increase in security, IMO.
Mostly doing garage-to garage-driving, so not a pressing need. If we decide to get tinted down the road, agree that we can do much better than $599.
Window tint for $599 is ludicrous.

I've lived in Atlanta--how the heck do you "not need" tint?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.