BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been looking into getting an e83 lately. Been wanting an suv, specifically not a crossover trying to pass as an suv, plus the e83 has always caught my eye. Only thing I really dislike about them interior wise is the stock radio. From what I’ve looked up, most people take out the stock radio and replace it with a single din. I currently have a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT in my IS, and would love to put a similar double din in an e83. From the looks of it, putting a double din in an e83 is probably a huge bitch lmfao. Was wondering if anybody’s running a double din in an e83 successfully, or would getting a single din just be easier.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Single din would be easier than getting a double din.

If all you really want is a way to play your music through the stock system, just get the bmw aux input kit and pick up a bluetooth aux adapter. Should be less than $50 altogether.

You can also get the 10.25” Android screen if you want as another option but that’s easily a couple hundred. Looks a lot better than single/double din IMO.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The above are good solutions. Actually, one of the things that makes the e83 platform pretty robust is the lack of excess BMW grade electronics. I have the old ipod adapter, and have a dedicated ipod in the glove box.

·
Registered
976 Posts
. From what I've looked up, most people take out the stock radio and replace it with a single din..
Honestly, when I was looking for my two cars, I looked at several used X3's and only one had retrofitted the radio. And it looked sh1t. IMHO of course.

I have BT adapters in mine through the AUX port and they work great.

A double DIN unit would be almost impossible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Honestly, when I was looking for my two cars, I looked at several used X3's and only one had retrofitted the radio. And it looked sh1t. IMHO of course.

I have BT adapters in mine through the AUX port and they work great.

A double DIN unit would be almost impossible.
Yep, most look awful and out of place.
BMW Business CD looks great for what it is.

I have a Kenwood KIV-700 in my E46, which looks "alright" given the colour screen, matching orange illumination, and similar finish to my Piano Black trim.
Here is an oooooold pic: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=845903&page=6

Best solution for an E83 IMHO, is the eBay interface I mentioned here in my previous post, or a legit android nav system, integrated in the top dashboard. (but $$)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just get one of these and be done:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Changer-Adapter-Interface/dp/B06Y67T3VT

You'll have everything you need, and nothing you don't.
Done under $80 - eBay has em for cheaper.
I have my old iPod hooked up to the aux input at the back of the center console, which plays fine, but I can only switch songs via the iPod itself - the Up/Down button on the steering wheel doesn't work for that - only for the volume. Will this device you linked to solve that issue? I really don't care too much about the navigation...
Btw, I only have the basic stereo - no oem navigation - don't know if this makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have my old iPod hooked up to the aux input at the back of the center console, which plays fine, but I can only switch songs via the iPod itself - the Up/Down button on the steering wheel doesn't work for that - only for the volume. Will this device you linked to solve that issue? I really don't care too much about the navigation...
Btw, I only have the basic stereo - no oem navigation - don't know if this makes a difference. Thanks!
Yes, this device offers full integration with the OEM system.
Steering wheel controls work perfectly. They respond like OEM (no delay), and you can answer or reject phone calls with the track up/down buttons.

You can skip songs from Bluetooth & USB devices.
It doesn't have an iPod connection though.

I use it with Spotify / Google Play Music and it works great.
USB is even easier - you can create 6 file folders on the device (CD1, CD2, etc.), and put up to 99 songs in each folder.

This way, you can easily use the CD buttons on the OEM radio to quickly switch folders.
Picking up a hot date? Press CD2 and *WHAM* Seduction Mix is now playing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ac2007,

I have SiriusXm pre-wiring installed and I had to take the CD changer connector out of the back of the head unit and plug in the Sirius plug into the harness in order to get satellite radio. Do you have Sirius? Just wondering if the cool box from your link would install and still let me retain my Sirius somehow without plugging the CD changer plug back in to the head unit

Thanks,

Aaron
2008 X3 3.0si 92,000 miles

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ac2007,

I have SiriusXm pre-wiring installed and I had to take the CD changer connector out of the back of the head unit and plug in the Sirius plug into the harness in order to get satellite radio. Do you have Sirius? Just wondering if the cool box from your link would install and still let me retain my Sirius somehow without plugging the CD changer plug back in to the head unit

Thanks,

Aaron
2008 X3 3.0si 92,000 miles
What's interesting is that the eBay listing (and the Amazon one I linked above) both said you'd had to sacrifice the CD player in order for this box to work.
That was not my experience. Instead, the connector that came with the box operated like a splitter, allowing me to connect the existing CD player and the box.

Now, I do not have SiriusXM radio installed.
But, based on my experience above, I would imagine you can maintain the same setup (Sirius instead of CD player).

Using the mode button before:
FM Radio --> CD player --> Aux (if installed)

Using the mode button after:
Cycle 1: FM Radio --> CD Player --> USB
Cycle 2: FM Radio --> CD Player --> Aux (if connected)
Cycle 3: FM Radio --> CD Player --> Bluetooth (if connected)

For your case, my guess is that your Sirius radio would just operate instead of the CD Player.

·
Anti-Hack
4,931 Posts
I went Avin route with CarPlay adapter. Will install next week once I get it.

I have this, or something similar. I don’t need touch screen or Carplay, don’t want touchscreen or CarPlay. Despite FM transmitter, Bluetooth streaming from my phone for music, or hands free phone calls, is crystal clear and doesn’t require taking the dash apart. Charges the phone while using it, and gives voltage readings of the car. Earlier in the week we put 300 non stop miles on it and never hit a spot of static, not even in South FL.

https://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Handsfree-Voltmeter/dp/B07533GYH2 IMG_4953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a "high tech" 4 foot cord that reaches my phone holder on the AC duct. I use the port on the back side of the counsel in the back seat to plug it in. The cord stays neatly between the seats so I dont have to look at it lol. Problem is nobody makes an aux cord with a crap and no matter what I do, it shorts out in 6 months. Back in the hair days I had Rockford Fosgate and all the latest cool stuff....I dont even know if thats a thing anymore. I was one of the dorks who had a job so my sound system from "Taz electronics" was worth more than the VW it was in. It would be nice to have a louder system for when the windows are down and the roof is open

1 - 17 of 17 Posts