BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Whichever one suits your needs and your budget. For me, all the radio has to do is play mp3 files from an SD card. Other people may want other features - CD player, iPod integration, video/TV, navigation... The price also varies from $50 well into the 4-digit territory.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Someone I know put quite an audio system into his 7 and wooooow what a disaster. He changed out the radio by placing it in the trays in center console. He amplified all the speakers in the car and even added custom kick panel speakers. Once it was all wired up, I never heard so much electrical noise in my life. Ive been involved in some complicated audio systems but damn, this thing was quite the dissapointment. Made crazy buzzing noises without the car even running.
He even ran the L7 amp through a hi/lo inverter to the aux input on the aftermarket radio. Imagine your backup sensors but amplified twice as loud. After seeing what a mess it could turn iyt to be, id never recommend changing out the radio.

Easiest to do is add an amp and sub

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If you remove the radio (ASK unit), you will loose the PDC functions, NAV, Voice Module, Bluetooth functions, telephone functions and anything on the MOST bus loop. Do a search for "aftermarket radios" or "audio". Personally, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
953 Posts
But why would you change the oem radio when its so integrated into the car.
Because it does not do something that's important to you. Or because the audio quality is not up to your standards. Or because you don't like a radio that's too integrated into the car - for example, changes the user interface when you update the car's software. Or simply because you don't like it (and most factory radios are not something to fall in love with).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Because it does not do something that's important to you. Or because the audio quality is not up to your standards. Or because you don't like a radio that's too integrated into the car - for example, changes the user interface when you update the car's software. Or simply because you don't like it (and most factory radios are not something to fall in love with).
Have u ever done a radio install in one of these cars?? Im just trying to let someone know what they are possibly up against. This isnt no honda civic where u install a deck with an adapter harness. Car has a factory amplifier with built in xover. If u want to add audio options, there are plenty of diy here where people have had integrated custom AUX-In so u can bring sound in from other sources. Just saying.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you remove the radio (ASK unit), you will loose the PDC functions, NAV, Voice Module, Bluetooth functions, telephone functions and anything on the MOST bus loop.
That's the problem with highly integrated "infotainment systems". You can't just change one component you don't like.

Remember that 1960s home electronics trend (that still rears its ugly head from time to time)? I'm talking about "all-in-one" units that combine a TV, a radio, a record player, amplifier, speakers, and a washing machine (OK, maybe not the washing machine, but you got the idea). It's sad that in the 21st century they still build car audio systems like that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have u ever done a radio install in one of these cars?? Im just trying to let someone know what they are possibly up against. This isnt no honda civic where u install a deck with an adapter harness.
Yep, I'm aware of that. Installing one on my E38 right now. And I'm sure E65 is even more "integrated" and painful to work with. But sometimes you just get sick and tired of your factory audio, rip it out and start from scratch, whatever it takes.

But yes, I agree with you, anyone who is thinking about messing the factory audio audio must be warned about the troubles and expenses he is going to face. Thank you for doing that part.

·
CRISP & CLEAN
4,298 Posts
Yep, I'm aware of that. Installing one on my E38 right now. And I'm sure E65 is even more "integrated" and painful to work with. But sometimes you just get sick and tired of your factory audio, rip it out and start from scratch, whatever it takes.

But yes, I agree with you, anyone who is thinking about messing the factory audio audio must be warned about the troubles and expenses he is going to face. Thank you for doing that part.
An E38 is a cake walk compared to an E66 ,
That's like you comparing apples & bananas
Saying they are basically the same shape ...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
356 Posts

Installing a radio in a E38 is as simple as installing a radio in a civic.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/BMW_wire+harness_70-8591

There is your amplifier integration harness for the car. Makes life so easy. An E65/66 had depending on the year its made from 40 to over 70 computers to run the car.

An E38 has 1.

So when u try to compare the two, thers your bananas and strawberries. Lol

Just saying.

Amp & Sub. Dont forget the Dynamat. Woot woot.

I have crudentials when it comes to speaking about Car Audio as was in the industry for almost 20 years.

Just trying to protect other 7 owners interest.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
def don't change radios!!!
I had one in an e34 years ago matted to the factory speakers and bazooka tubes and it sounded great, the factory speakers back then were very good components and the radio had crossovers built in so you could cut the bass out. The newer cars are wayyy to integrated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.