BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Urban Knucklebuster
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower 325 xit by maybe 2" front and rear; However, I do not want to run stiffer coils. Any ideas?

I saw the H&R sport springs. I assume they are higher spring rates. ??

·
10,856 Posts
The shocks on that car cannot handle more spring well at all. Especially the rears.

Then again, the shocks on that car can't really handle the OEM sprigns for very long.

·
Urban Knucklebuster
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not interested in 'more' spring but less spring. I want the wagon lower and if anything not stiffer. gordo

·
10,856 Posts
gordo325xiwagon said:
I am not interested in 'more' spring but less spring. I want the wagon lower and if anything not stiffer. gordo
Have you seen how much spring travel the wagon has? Up front, even though the car is higher, you have LESS travel than my M3 did stock. In order for the car to go lower and not live on the bump stops (which you'd have to shorten regardless), it'd have to be massively stiffer. Otherwise, the bump stops just become your spring and you might as well just skip the suspension and bolt the wheel to the frame.

Forget it. What you want is not possible.

·
Urban Knucklebuster
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Forget it. What you want is not possible.
Thanks Nick...I do not want to pursue something that is not feasible. gordo

·
10,856 Posts
PhilH said:
This guy has a Dinan suspension on his xi. Maybe he can give you some feedback.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/member.php?u=16488

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/user.php?action=viewUserCarMod&UcId=193

As you can see, his suspension isn't slammed, so there's still some suspension travel.
The Dinan suspension is rear Konis and springs. It's still going to be harsher, and it will still suffer from spring travel issues up front.

Edit: Phil, the problem with the xi suspension is that the front springs are a couple of inches shorter than, say, your springs, or even the springs in my M3. It rides just above the bump stops STOCK.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Edit: Phil, the problem with the xi suspension is that the front springs are a couple of inches shorter than, say, your springs, or even the springs in my M3. It rides just above the bump stops STOCK.
I understand that (mainly from seeing you post it before). I agree that lowering it 2" wouldn't be smart, I'm just trying to let him know that he can lower his car and still have it driveable. From my experience, Dinan makes some nicely tuned suspensions that don't beat you up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts