BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have always owned Mercedes and now I am planning to buy 2008 535xi (for a change) which does not have Navigation system and i was wondering how hard it is to put Aftermarket navigation System in 535xi and what type of possible cost I am looking at. I do not want to use regular Garmin etc. I would prefer in dash model which can fit into existing Dashboard.

Please let me know what type of cost I am looking at to add such Navigation system with DVD/MP3 player. Any suggestion on model and source will be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Since the E60 has idrive which controls many things in the car such as climate control, it would possibly be cheaper to find the model you want with nav already installed. Back to your original question, it would be probably quite expensive for an aftermarket in-dash gps. Others might be able to give you a better dollar figure but I doubt you're willing to spend possibly $1000 and up for gps.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i would think really hard before spending big money on an installed nav system. For $100-200 you can get a great portable nav system when needed. Otherwise I would follow the advice of finding a car with factory nav.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
It's not possible. The "head unit" in an E60 includes the iDrive computer and controls a lot more than the audio and navigation. I doubt the car would even start if you were somehow able to remove that. And the hardware is totally proprietary - you couldn't go to Crutchfield and pick out an aftermarket unit that would replace what's there now.

If you like that particular 535xi, you're stuck using a Garmin or your iPhone as a navigation device. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
It's not possible. The "head unit" in an E60 includes the iDrive computer and controls a lot more than the audio and navigation. I doubt the car would even start if you were somehow able to remove that. And the hardware is totally proprietary - you couldn't go to Crutchfield and pick out an aftermarket unit that would replace what's there now.

If you like that particular 535xi, you're stuck using a Garmin or your iPhone as a navigation device. Sorry.
That is the only option. You are stuck with an extra device or have to buy one with NAV in it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nav ccc would be alround $1600 installed and running its not worth it buying after market because only the dealer could factory program it into your car not no indy mtfs...if you installed it in the indy you still have to go to bmw for the programmmmming.

·
Registered
66 Posts
...not sure if this is off-topic: I have BMW OEM Nav in my 2008 535i AND I use an older Garmin all the time - both at the same time. Why? They show me different info and I have found perform they differently. While I like the display of the BMW Nav and the traffic reporting is more timely and more accurate than the Garmin, the Garmin is more accurate for time of arrival and route selection. There are times when both GPSs show me different routing. The Garmin is better for routing. And the Garmin shows me time to my next turn - which I like.

FYI, I have the Garmin mounted using a suction mount on the vertical surface near the ashtray/seat heat buttons...down low, out of normal view.

Back on topic, get an aftermarket GPS. Try as many out as possible. I find some newer Garmins have slower processors and the 'recalculating' takes too long (IMO).

Cheers, Neubs

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
...not sure if this is off-topic: I have BMW OEM Nav in my 2008 535i AND I use an older Garmin all the time - both at the same time. Why? They show me different info and I have found perform they differently. While I like the display of the BMW Nav and the traffic reporting is more timely and more accurate than the Garmin, the Garmin is more accurate for time of arrival and route selection. There are times when both GPSs show me different routing. The Garmin is better for routing. And the Garmin shows me time to my next turn - which I like.

FYI, I have the Garmin mounted using a suction mount on the vertical surface near the ashtray/seat heat buttons...down low, out of normal view.

Back on topic, get an aftermarket GPS. Try as many out as possible. I find some newer Garmins have slower processors and the 'recalculating' takes too long (IMO).

Cheers, Neubs
And while we're on that topic, I really do like the MotionX app for the iPhone. The app is either free or $4.99, and the voice guidance is $2.99 a month. Highly accurate, constantly updated maps, and one less device to carry around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Since the E60 has idrive which controls many things in the car such as climate control, it would possibly be cheaper to find the model you want with nav already installed. Back to your original question, it would be probably quite expensive for an aftermarket in-dash gps. Others might be able to give you a better dollar figure but I doubt you're willing to spend possibly $1000 and up for gps.
How about below link. It suggest that it can be easily installed and it comes with lot more options such as Touch Screen/DVD Video Player/MP3 Player/TV/Navigation/Backup Camera/USB Port and many more. Also it comes with step by step installtion guide for specific model so it is not something it is generic and won't fit to model.

http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-models-nv_bmw356.asp
http://www.dynavin.com/products.php

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...60673-2010-cic-install-2006-m5-pictorial.html

Anyone has done that ?.

·
Registered
720 Posts
How about below link. It suggest that it can be easily installed and it comes with lot more options such as Touch Screen/DVD Video Player/MP3 Player/TV/Navigation/Backup Camera/USB Port and many more. Also it comes with step by step installtion guide for specific model so it is not something it is generic and won't fit to model.

http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-models-nv_bmw356.asp
http://www.dynavin.com/products.php

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...60673-2010-cic-install-2006-m5-pictorial.html

Anyone has done that ?.
The first one seems to be more multimedia interface than an aftermarket gps solution.
The second I didn't see the E60 model in the BMW section of it.
The third I wouldn't consider "aftermarket" since its an updated version of idrive. If I had a few thousand laying around I would definitely do that one. I've heard you can source the parts from ebay for about $1200-1300ish, you'll just need to be able to do the coding for everything. You could also get in contact with a 5series.net forum member Patryk (I believe that's how its spelt). He's also active on other forums but i don't know which ones. You can buy a complete retrofit kit and with coding sessions included for about double the price. I've heard he's a great guy to do business with tho. Hoped I've helped you in some way to make a decision and let us know what you decide on doing.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another possibility I explored was to use your screen with a Car PC system.

It is rather simple ( relatively speaking) You can get a simple PC systme that will interface with the screen and switch from Car PC to the IDrive system, leave everything stock. It can get a bit complicated and is not a readily (off the shelf) system, but doable.

I decided to use the Garmin route and installed the power cord into a plug i installed in the OH console. This way, all the wiring is hidden and the unit is mounted next to my rear view mirror. It was under $200.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.