BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you all got me doing my homework. Last Bridgestone Turanza runflat I purchased from Firestone was March 2021.
Would you have accepted this tire after it had already been mounted and balanced? Up until last year I was only putting 5K miles/year on my car. If a tire has a 6-7 year lifespan, would you accept a two year old tire?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's how locals tell also, recommended maximum age would be ten years.

This later part might work different in US, but this is what local rules say about selling.

It's allowed to sell tires as "new" five years from manufacturing, should be just stored properly, but if tire is older than 3yrs, then should clearly tell it to customer for letting him know.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,053 Posts
Dot.coms recommend selling what they have, and so do their manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When I bought new tires, I never actually got something which is over one year old.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,263 Posts
My parents used to have a 23' camping trailer that spent 99% of it's life parked in the same spot in the backyard with one side facing open space and the other side totally shaded by a number of trees and bushes. Within 10 years the tires on the open side looked like trash while the tires on the other side looked almost new.

Sunlight makes the age way faster than if they are in a warehouse.

Reactions: lgr122

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,053 Posts
NHTSA DOT .gov has published research on tire aging, hazards and causes. Only O2 inside the carcase can be ameliorated - dry pumped N2. Bwahaha

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
My tires from TireRack varied in age, depending on the "oddness" of tires. My "max-performance summer" tires for my Chevy Cobalt were a year old when I bought them. I suspect that's because most current Chevy Cobalt drivers are more interested in getting some more crack or meth' than having max-performance summer tires. My PS 4S's for my 535i were just a few weeks old when I got them.

A lot of RV's, camping trailers, and boat trailers here in Floriduh have vinyl covers over their tires when parked outside.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So you all got me doing my homework. Last Bridgestone Turanza runflat I purchased from Firestone was March 2021.
Would you have accepted this tire after it had already been mounted and balanced? Up until last year I was only putting 5K miles/year on my car. If a tire has a 6-7 year lifespan, would you accept a two year old tire?
View attachment 1050346
looks like the tires were less than two years old. i would not have a problem with it. My 650I 2008 is on its third set of tires, not because of wear but because of age and living in Florida hot climate. My car has 24,000 miles on it. didnt feel safe having tires older than 6 years old. Good chance they will ware out before they get that old

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,263 Posts
A lot of RV's, camping trailers, and boat trailers here in Floriduh have vinyl covers over their tires when parked outside.
My dad made covers the first time he replaced the tires, didn't want to replace "new" tires ever again.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yeah, right, those trailer tires are another story. As long as air stay inside, it's ok. :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tire related question from a newbie. Maybe I'm just old and weaker, but lately I find myself struggling to put my tires back on in a crouching position. Either I keep missing the hub or I get the tire on but the hole and the hub threads are not aligned. Sometimes I even resort to boards underneath the tire to help alignment. Please tell me the secret?

And for those who stuck with the original Turanza runflat like me, apparently they are becoming more difficul to find.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Tire related question from a newbie. Maybe I'm just old and weaker, but lately I find myself struggling to put my tires back on in a crouching position. Either I keep missing the hub or I get the tire on but the hole and the hub threads are not aligned. Sometimes I even resort to boards underneath the tire to help alignment. Please tell me the secret?

And for those who stuck with the original Turanza runflat like me, apparently they are becoming more difficul to find.
BMW's have "lug bolts" instead of "studs and lug nuts." That's what makes it hard to line up the wheel with the lug bolt holes. Here's the trick, a Schwaben wheel hanger. I carry on in each of our BMW's. ECSTuning.com and others sell them to fit your specific BMW.

Gadget Bicycle part Audio equipment Font Electric blue
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

When I put one in the X3's toolbox, Frau Putzer asked what it was. I said "Es ist ein Schwaben," and I whacked her on the head with it. She asked what a Schwaben was, and what was it for. So, I whacked her in the head with it again.

When you're removing and installing tires/wheels, or checking and adjusting tire pressures, or cleaning your wheels, in your driveway or garage, a mechanic's stool is worth its weight in gold.

Chair Comfort Rectangle Armrest Auto part

If you have to change a tire on the side of the road, carry some pieces of fairly rigid and thick packing foam. and do the work kneeling on the foam.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BMW's have "lug bolts" instead of "studs and lug nuts." That's what makes it hard to line up the wheel with the lug bolt holes. Here's the trick, a Schwaben wheel hanger. I carry on in each of our BMW's. ECSTuning.com and others sell them to fit your specific BMW.

View attachment 1050753 View attachment 1050754

When I put one in the X3's toolbox, Frau Putzer asked what it was. I said "Es ist ein Schwaben," and I whacked her on the head with it. She asked what a Schwaben was, and what was it for. So, I whacked her in the head with it again.

When you're removing and installing tires/wheels, or checking and adjusting tire pressures, or cleaning your wheels, in your driveway or garage, a mechanic's stool is worth its weight in gold.

View attachment 1050755

If you have to change a tire on the side of the road, carry some pieces of fairly rigid and thick packing foam. and do the work kneeling on the foam.
Great idea. Will order one. Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I wouled not accept tires that old, if I only did 5k a year.

I would not trust what self-serving tire SELLERS claim.

Only what manufacturers state, in writing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouled not accept tires that old, if I only did 5k a year.

I would not trust what self-serving tire SELLERS claim.

Only what manufacturers state, in writing.
Just got off the phone with Firestone. Like Tire Rack, allowed to sell tires up to 5 years old.
Not to mention with the runflats no warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts