BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had my HPFP replaced at 17K, now at about 23K. Had the chance to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA last week - by the way, GREAT drive - would highly recommend it.

To get on the Parkway, we went up VA 56, the Tye River Turnpike, located in George Washington National Forest - it was a windy road with about 1500' ascent in around 2-3 miles. So, being a fun-loviing BMW owner, immediately popped it into Sport Mode and had at it pretty aggressively. Great drive up the side of the mountain!

But, once on the Parkway, after a minute or two, got an Engine Warning (I believe it was the same Reduced power warning - see dealer that came up when I started seeing HPFP problems at 17K, but not 100% sure - it could have been some other type of Engine warning - at the time we weren't being too attentive to the particulars). Thought: "Great! Here we go again, another HPFP - but this time right out in the middle of nowhere, up on top of a mountain!".

Pulled over, turned it off, then back on. Cleared the message, and since then, after about another 800 miles of driving, no recurrence of any warnings or problems.

So my question is: What, other than HPFP, considering the fact that we were very aggressively ascending the mountain, would generate this type of warning, especially something that would go away once stopped and restarted?

Have had no noticeable problems before or since.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oil temperature? :dunno:

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
I am guessing it was overheating. What was the external temperature?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
If you have en early model year sedan it's possible there is no secondary oil cooler. You should see a vent in the front of the front passenger side wheel well if there is one.
His is a 2009. I've driven that exact same road before in my X3 and it never overheated either ascent or descent- I actually drove that route a couple times in a row because it was so fun. Although the gradient is somewhat steep, it's no more than about 5-8% tops.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,419 Posts
If you have en early model year sedan it's possible there is no secondary oil cooler. You should see a vent in the front of the front passenger side wheel well if there is one.
If he doesn't have the sports package, he doesn't have the oil cooler (unless it was added later). If I had to bet one of the kids, I'd say oil temperature. Of course, there's one of the kids I wouldn't mind betting.

FWIW,
George

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
I had the same thing driving in the mountains. Stopped at an auto parts store and got them to read the code and it was 02 sensor. The warning went away on its own after a day or so and never came back. Car drove fine the whole time. :dunno: edit: mine was chk engine light, not reduced power warning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback - now that I think about it, it was a Check Engine light, not a reduced power light. Ambient was probably high 80's to low 90's. I remember glancing at the oil temp - it looked normal. So like Tgray5 , maybe O2 sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.