Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Absolutely new to the forum and purchasing my first BMW. I live in MA on Plum Island.

I am in the process of buying a '14 X3 XDrive35i, trading in my 2014 Mini Cooper S (62K). I love the car but I'm nervous about the expense of a vehicle past the 80K mark. Any input would be appreciated. I passed on an '08 M6 convertible because of fear of potential maintenance expenses.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This literally made me laugh. How do you give up an M6 convertible for an X3? "Well, I was going to get the lobster tail, but then I saw the chicken McNuggets on the menu." I mean, it's not even the same thing. If a convertible is something you would like to have, then I think the "you only live once" rule applies. Be brave.

And I should add that the X3 is the wife's - I drive a 650i convertible 365 days a year in Denver.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This literally made me laugh. How do you give up an M6 convertible for an X3? "Well, I was going to get the lobster tail, but then I saw the chicken McNuggets on the menu." I mean, it's not even the same thing. If a convertible is something you would like to have, then I think the "you only live once" rule applies. Be brave.

And I should add that the X3 is the wife's - I drive a 650i convertible 365 days a year in Denver.
I've had sports cars and was attracted to a 60K mi. S6 until the recommendations from the BMW owners at the Rolex Forum unanimously said to run from it. YOLO is fine but not when it's a bad bet. For now the inline six X3 will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCp_4uVtT-Y&app=desktop

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a 10-car BMW owner, here's my 2013 X3 35iMsport ownership experience.

Best SAV we've ever owned (SUVs included) for driving thrill and refined experience. Prior to this '13 X3, we had a 2003 X5 3.0 manual, yup, manual, that I bought used with 33k miles on it and drove it for 100k miles over 10 years. Sold the X5 and bought this X3. The X5 was gen 1 and had some rough aging issues (door handles, rear latch replaced, typical window limiters (replaced 3 of them myself) and standard BMW oil leak issues (VCG, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket) all M54 standard items. I'll leave out the rest to avoid wasting time here.

2013 X3, bought CPO with 34,500 miles on the clock. Now has 71k on it, over 39 months of ownership/ around 935 miles per month, and I just did my first major service work.

Work done this March: leaking water pump - replaced pump and thermostat; oil change, new spark plugs, oil filter housing gasket, VCG gasket and vent hose, coolant flush/replace, brake flush, bought 4 led tail lamp controllers off ebay ($40 for all 4). One set of new tires (removed the Goodyear RFTs which were quite sh***y and put on Pzero All Seasons (major improvement). Total maintenance (add two additional oil changes to this mix since acquiring the X3) and I am in for around $4000 since purchase.

This is right on target as I budget around $1k a year for BMW maintenance, driving this car around 11k miles per year.

Overall this has been a solid ownership experience for a very fun to drive vehicle.

This X3 35i Msport has oodles of power, it's blast to drive and has just about every option (no HK radio, no lane departure, no air suspension) and is loaded with everything else.

I'll look to another X3 when we sell this one as she approaches 100k miles, or in 2-3 years.

For over 80k miles, budget cooling system maintenance ($1500), you might need brakes and rotors (40k is what a typical driver wears them at when city driving), check the oil housing gasket, valve cover gasket (VCG), oil pan gasket, sparkies should have been replaced already, engine coils at 100k (sooner if you drive hard) $26 each on amazon and also a DIY if you're capable, water pump if it's the original one as these new electric ones DO fail starting at 70k from my reading and actual experience (have owned 3 BMWs with these electric water pumps).

Feel free to ask anything else. I'll do my best to assist.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As a 10-car BMW owner, here's my 2013 X3 35iMsport ownership experience.

Best SAV we've ever owned (SUVs included) for driving thrill and refined experience. Prior to this '13 X3, we had a 2003 X5 3.0 manual, yup, manual, that I bought used with 33k miles on it and drove it for 100k miles over 10 years. Sold the X5 and bought this X3. The X5 was gen 1 and had some rough aging issues (door handles, rear latch replaced, typical window limiters (replaced 3 of them myself) and standard BMW oil leak issues (VCG, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket) all M54 standard items. I'll leave out the rest to avoid wasting time here.

2013 X3, bought CPO with 34,500 miles on the clock. Now has 71k on it, over 39 months of ownership/ around 935 miles per month, and I just did my first major service work.

Work done this March: leaking water pump - replaced pump and thermostat; oil change, new spark plugs, oil filter housing gasket, VCG gasket and vent hose, coolant flush/replace, brake flush, bought 4 led tail lamp controllers off ebay ($40 for all 4). One set of new tires (removed the Goodyear RFTs which were quite sh***y and put on Pzero All Seasons (major improvement). Total maintenance (add two additional oil changes to this mix since acquiring the X3) and I am in for around $4000 since purchase.

This is right on target as I budget around $1k a year for BMW maintenance, driving this car around 11k miles per year.

Overall this has been a solid ownership experience for a very fun to drive vehicle.

This X3 35i Msport has oodles of power, it's blast to drive and has just about every option (no HK radio, no lane departure, no air suspension) and is loaded with everything else.

I'll look to another X3 when we sell this one as she approaches 100k miles, or in 2-3 years.

For over 80k miles, budget cooling system maintenance ($1500), you might need brakes and rotors (40k is what a typical driver wears them at when city driving), check the oil housing gasket, valve cover gasket (VCG), oil pan gasket, sparkies should have been replaced already, engine coils at 100k (sooner if you drive hard) $26 each on amazon and also a DIY if you're capable, water pump if it's the original one as these new electric ones DO fail starting at 70k from my reading and actual experience (have owned 3 BMWs with these electric water pumps).

Feel free to ask anything else. I'll do my best to assist.
The good news is that they've just replaced the brakes and did an oil change. I'll be bringing it to a local shop to give it a once over as it has 86K+miles. There've been problems with the delivery of the title at the dealership. It's not the first time with the dealer and used cars in my experience with them. Now it looks like next week before I get it. Thanks for your offer to help. It's pretty high mileage for a 2014 imho but the price seemed good and it felt solid and looked very clean. BTW, in my prior post I meant M6 and not S6, fwiw.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of weeks into the ownership I've had it checked out and everything seems good. I'm getting used to the iDrive system which at times seems a bit quirky however it works. I joined the connected program for a year. I'd some concern that the X3 might not be capable but a call assuaged those fears. I'm not certain how useful ConnectedDrive is but I'm willing to give it a one year try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts