BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i'm stumped! I have replaced all 4 sensors and i get the same error code, ... Sensor ageing before conv., bank 2. (TV). The car starts and runs fine. I clear the code and it comes back after the same mileage

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
what is this mean "Sensor ageing before conv., bank 2. (TV)".. so moving forward.. post the error code and brief identifying error.. what car is this?.. year?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is an '03 540iT. The only "code" that shows up on a reader is the number 16 - oxygen sensor aging before conv. Bank 2 (TV). I have tried two different readers both display the same.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
good info.. it's helpful.. what code reader are you using?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Well around here we use the p code as identifiers to issues.. see here

I don't own your reader and tried to find out info online about it.. I guess customer support isn't their top priority because I didn't find ONE page in reference to this error code. What we've done in the past at this point is to ask the OP (you) to look up it's corresponding p-code and post that. Maybe you will have more luck than I did. A alt is for someone else to chime in and or think of a nice 20 buck cheap-o scanner that uses your smart phone or a 50 dollar one that is made just for bmws (creator)..

as another alternative you can graph the o2 and make sure they are working correctly.. post the trim numbers to tell us the health of your engine..from that we don't need the error code and can just move forward fixing the issues.. Finally add that if you have a dvom you can test to see if at least your new o2 are working it is the least accurate but if you don't have the tools you can see if at least they are sending info to the dme.. see here for more info..

http://www.obd-codes.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnM_NsOtd8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thank you for your efforts to help with my problem. As far code reader, I also used my Creator C310 ? Which is BMW only, same message. I also have had no luck verifying or clarifying the error message given. I have looked at voltage and appears normal in a live data stream mode. Trim levels can be monitored.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
while we wait .. post fuel trim numbers short and long term..

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I haven't seen this precisely but have come across interesting alternative denotation uses throughout the Creator system.

I suspect "aging" means "slow" and this would go towards a P0153 code.

Check the O2 graph and see what the response time is. Also check the "Activation Pause" and "Period Duration" readings are. I am expecting to see these as large numbers and not matching your other. Assuming your sensor change included wiring, could be exhaust leak...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0153

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, back with some data:
Engine off
STFT bank 1. 0%
Bank 2. 0%
LTFT. Bank 1. 7.8%
Bank 2. 8.6%
2000 rpm bank 1 -5.5 to 7.8%
bank 2. -9.4 to 13.3%

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm getting the same message and also using Creator 310. Only difference is mine is for bank 1. Putting in a new oem o2 sensor this weekend and hoping it solves the problem. Would prefer codes to these written messages.

When I used the graphing function of the 310 I could see the bank 1 precat o2 was lagging behind the engine and the graph was erratic, and not rhythmic like the bank 2 sensor.

The last set of numbers, I'm assuming is your pre-cat o2? If so, they are way out of scale. I think stock calls for .1 to .9 if memory serves. TAB has a good page on what normal's run with the 310.

ca2014, TAB and a couple of other people have been very helpful to me on this issue. Looking forward to following your progress on solving this same problem.

Jim

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Ok, back with some data:
Engine off
STFT bank 1. 0%
Bank 2. 0%
LTFT. Bank 1. 7.8%
Bank 2. 8.6%
2000 rpm bank 1 -5.5 to 7.8%
bank 2. -9.4 to 13.3%
Hopefully by engine off you mean idle. If it is actually off...

The fuel trims certainly seem to be "off", that alternation of STFT is decidedly odd. Can you graph the O2 and post? Even a pic of the scan tool would work in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
looks like your post cats are shot.. if that is what the black o2s22 are in fact post cat o2... they are big time dead. pre cats o2 look perfect. check wiring verify with ohm meter.. and always test those o2 with a HOT engine ie hot cat....

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
how old are the post cat o2? are they new or old and if old how old.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
what do you mean the pre-cats are "gutted"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts