BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me which brand air and cabin filters to get? Also, is the carbon activated filter a good way to go or are the paper filters best. Fram has all of the ones I need but not sure about the quality.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Get the one that looks like it will get the job done that it was designed to do...and fits your budget.

As far as activated charcoal or plain...again this is your call to make. Do you know what the actvated charcoal filters purpose is? It's to help filter odors from the fresh air entering the HVAC system. If that matters to you...then again it's your choice to make versus plain filter.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Type /filter f3 in the bestlinks, and the answer will pop up for you, e.g., typing /air filter f3 nets this:
- How to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) & what cabin filter to buy (1) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) & everything there is to know about stinky gym sock AC odors (1)

And, typing /engine filter f3 nets this:
- How to DIY replace the engine air filter (1) & a DIY for a K&N retrofit (1) but read this about the flaws in the K & N method before deciding on any engine filter retrofit (1) (2).

Now that I've done your search for you, your job is to add value to THOSE threads so that others benefit from what you've learned.

·
RIP #9
1,571 Posts
I've had good luck with Mann and Mahle engine air filters (both the regular and "heavy duty" ones with the extra foam prefilter), but I've never used the activated charcoal cabin air filters before. I stick with plain paper Corteco cabin filters.

Although now it looks like PelicanParts has Corteco activated charcoal filters for only $6 more...looks like I have to give them a try now! :)

·
Respect my authoritay!
550 Posts
I used the Mann ones in the picture with the charcoal, and they are fantastic. My only concern about them was the filters I replaced had the plastic frame, while the new ones (as shown in the picture) do not. You need to make sure the sit in they box properly, it's easier to do with the rigid frames, but the cardboard framed ones are flexible and will conform if you persuade them. Otherwise air may bypass the filter and go straight into the cabin and that's no bueno.

·
RIP #9
1,571 Posts
You need to make sure the sit in the box properly, it's easier to do with the rigid frames, but the cardboard framed ones are flexible and will conform if you persuade them.
+1, the plastic frames are definitely useful. There are two different types of tab on each side of the frame, making it totally idiot-proof (especially if I can install them properly!) :)

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Shop at www.autohausaz.com they have great prices on both the air and cabin filters. I prefer the Mann brand cabin filters. They work well and are inexpensive at Autohausaz.com (as in $19.08 for the pair!) In fact the only problem with them is their prices are so low, it is hard to hit their $75 minimum to get free shipping sometimes. Just order extra oil filters and stuff. ;)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.