BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 BMW 525i that is disabled. The shop that I took it to quoted me almost $2,000 to replace the airbag cable ($600) and airbag control module ($700) and stated that once these parts are replaced the car will start again.

I'm on the fence to invest 40% of the car's value to get it to work again. :dunno:

Any suggestions on how to get my car going again without making this investment? I don't need the airbags to work.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I'm not sure on this--but will offer up--Doesn't the battery cable have a fuse on it that blows out --or something like it--when the air bags go off. It cuts power to the car , once the bags go boom..least I'm thinking that happens--
Might find a junker that wasn't in a wreck and get the cable your needing.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I dont think your tech is incorrect on the airbag cable and module. Sounds more like the "explosive battery disconnect" that poolman mentioned. It is an expensive cable to replace, but not as much as your quote. Here is a link to some basic info on the part-http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570030

Ive never heard of an airbag system alone being able to immobilize a car. The battery cable will tho.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Flybot, i went to your link and it appears the explosive battery disconnect is actuated from the airbag control module.

Bocarunner, a suggestion to get your car running:
1) verify your battery disconnect is actually blown (voltmeter across anything downstream of this connection positive to ground)
2) if it is blown, replace the positive battery cable with an non explosive cable (Pep boys, auto zone, etc.) of equal gauge. This should get your car back running.
3) Follow pooman's advice and look to a junk yard to replace the airbag parts.

My 97 528 does not have this explosive charge on the battery cable and I don't think the car is unsafe because of it. IMO, this is another BMW over-design that can stop your car if it fails. However, if you don't go back with the explosive cable, you may get the SRS light on your dash and not be able to make it go away. I don't know if the SRS system monitors the explosive battery disconnect.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Here's an idea--on the cable you have now--seperate the parts as in the vid,,then with the part that hooks to the bat--remove the explosive cap from it--drill a hole through and then drill a hole in the pin on the cable and thread it for a machine bolt to go into it--put the parts back together and then put your bolt through to connect them--power is back then

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In that video- Using Channel Locks and Vice Grips on perfectly good hex nuts??!!What a hack. Couldnt watch after that.

But replacing the Pos cable with a regular one is a good idea. The explosive disconnect is a nice feature, but certainly not essential. Hopefully doesnt make some airbag code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts