BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 540i sport was involved in a left side collision...I slid into a sign at about 50mph. I've got everything worked out except for the airbags. The driver door and driver side curtain airbags deployed. I know the airbags have to be replaced but what sensors would need to be replaced? I have read about having to replace the airbag module under the dash and some stuff about something under the driver seat and the seatbelt that was in use. I also read that if there was no stress on the seatbelt during the crash, which there was absolutely none, then it would be standard BMW procedure to be replaced but not necessary. Any info on this would be nice as I've read conflicting things on here and Bimmerforums.

· Registered
15,774 Posts
Your best bet is to check with BMW dealer mechanic and ask them if you need to replace the Deceleration sensor.

I wrote a DIY for seat belt buckle (aka Pretensioner), in that DIY I also showed the side impact sensor (under the seat).

All you need is Torx key, lift the seat up (prop it with some 2x4 wood), then replace the sensor.

The sensors can be bought on ebay for cheap.

Here is the DIY:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602138

· Registered
15,976 Posts
I had a car that deployed the air bags and belt tensioners, due to a crash. The insurance company required the replacement of the pyro stuff, as well as the sensors and control module. This was to ensure that the system worked in a subsquent crash.

It's a liability issue.

· Registered
15,774 Posts
I believe the computer (under center console) can be reset/re-used.

The sensors, check to be sure, need to be replaced. This is because once it is activated (deceleration more than 7G force), it is used up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.