BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Funny you should ask Ron (m)

If memory serves me, an airbag module cannot be air shipped, it must be ground and labeled as explosive, sorry I forgot which grade. You should be able to find out from the local BMW dealer. If not, I can get you the information later on this week. I can ask my old co-workers at Takata.

Let me know.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
z3power said:
If not, I can get you the information later on this week. I can ask my old co-workers at Takata.

Let me know.
Sure. Won't be shipping until next week.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
The nitty gritty - - -(m)

Okay Ron, you may only ship via GROUND. There are many guidelines that you may need to ensure that the container is properly ID. I have attached UPS' link for harzardous transportation guide manual. YOu can also contact your local UPS HUB; I would not bother to contact those strip mall stores, I don't think they have experience in these matters.

UPS Hazardous Material shipping guide

The next link show some common items that they consider hazardous, however, they did not mention automotive airbag modules.
Common hazardous items.

You can also call UPS'Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964.

Since 9/11, restrictions have grown ten-fold and it is extremely difficult to ship items without the proper paperwork. One thing, I am sure you do not have is the MSDS for that airbag module. You might need to get a copy of it from the BMW dealer (they should and are required to have it on site). It might be necessary to ship the MSDS with the airbag module (that will be up to UPS).

Hope this helps, gotta love the paper trails....

Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts