BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original symptoms were showing (I think) in the beginning of the summer. On hot days the air would not get cold if I just turned on the car and let it sit there for a few minutes. It wouldn't get cold until I was moving around over 20mph for a few minutes. I recently replaced the entire cooling system so that shouldn't be part of the problem.

The new symptom is some kind of loud vibrating noise coming from the engine compartment. I first noticed it backing out of the driveway (air on max). The car started vibrating slightly so I lowered the air and heard a loud kind of clicking sound. The actual intensity of the sound did not change when the air was lowered or raised. When I turned off the air, the sound stopped completely after about a second or two.

When I turned the air back on it'd take a minute or two and then the sound would come back. This time I just turned off the A/C, and again the sound stopped completely after one or two seconds. Does anyone know what the problem is? Can I fix it myself? Could this have anything to do with the cooling system that was just replaced? I had it done at MSR in Rahway, NJ. I lot of guys around here swear by them so I don't think it was done incorrectly.

Thanks, Alex.

Side note-- Just now when I drove the car (no A/C on) from a cold start, I noticed a high pitched whine that I couldn't locate. It rose with the RPMs and eventually went away entirely. No idea what it relates to or what causes it

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
my guesses would be: FSR (final stage resistor); climate control unit, A/C Compressor gone bad.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would would any of those mean for me? DIY? If not how much do you think it'd cost to get fixed?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
sounds like AC belt to me

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem and the dealer was able to pin point exactly where the vibration was coming from. The issue is that the A/C compressor is going bad. I believe the part goes for ~$700.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Would would any of those mean for me? DIY? If not how much do you think it'd cost to get fixed?
i dont think that this is a DIY thing. Cause even if you could instal the compressor, wouldnt you need the charge the system and other stuff that i dont even know about....

·
Registered
126 Posts
i dont think that this is a DIY thing. Cause even if you could instal the compressor, wouldnt you need the charge the system and other stuff that i dont even know about....
You can take your car to an AC shop, have them evacuate the system...you fix the compressor...then take it back and they'll pull a vacuum and recharge the system...you'll save the labor on replacing the compressor. Mine is doing the same but not too bad...I'm hoping it will be ok until I can fix it before next summer. you just dont want it to sieze up because the belt will snap and could snap the drive belt then you have a problem on your hands. ebay has some good deals on rebuilt compressors, I would replace the dryer too

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You can take your car to an AC shop, have them evacuate the system...you fix the compressor...then take it back and they'll pull a vacuum and recharge the system...you'll save the labor on replacing the compressor. Mine is doing the same but not too bad...I'm hoping it will be ok until I can fix it before next summer. you just dont want it to sieze up because the belt will snap and could snap the drive belt then you have a problem on your hands. ebay has some good deals on rebuilt compressors, I would replace the dryer too
Exactly what he said!!!! SAVE ON LABOR

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Compressor on there car? I have 1997 BMW with a bad compressor it has been diagnosed by the Dealer. I have a friend who can assist with vacuum and recharge. I am going to buy the compressor. I live in NC and the heat here has finaly broken me. I have to fix this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts