BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1998 528i and I had some problems with the cooling system and while getting things together to do the DIY (thanks CN90) I let it sit for about six months.

Got it put back together and the air conditioner is blowing hot. I checked that the aux fan is running and the compressor clutch kicks in when I press the snowflake...

So, what I dont know is this. With a small mirror, looking at the front of the compressor, there is a nut right in the middle. When the clutch kicks in, there is a small squeal/whine sound when it starts to spin. However, the nut in the middle does not spin at all.

Everyone is telling me that the compressor is locked up/broken.

Anyone have any insight here? We checked the refrigerant pressure. (about 110 equalized on both sides)

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like you might need a new compressor. That was actually my first DIY on this car (or any car for that matter) and it wasn't bad at all. Mine is a 1999 528 but I assume they are almost identical. My a/c clutch had actually separated from the compressor and shredded the belt so there was no denying the compressor was shot. I'm not exactly sure how to confirm that yours is toast.

·
Gearhead
1,129 Posts
Take a deadblow, or hammer, and lightly tap around the barrel of the compressor while it's running. Maybe you can break loose a sticky clutch, if thats what is happening from having it sit 6 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I put a 13mm wrench on the bolt I spoke of earlier with the engine off and it wouldnt turn.

I'll try to bump the compressor while its running and see it that does anything for it. What bothers me is the squeaky/whine sound I hear when I first turn the ac on. It goes away after about 3 to 4 seconds...

I have thought its stuck too. Just no real way to confirm that..

·
/G\RUNT
46 Posts
Model similarities?

- Air conditioner compressor replacement DIY (1) & AC refrigerant & PAG oil to use (1)
So the E36 and E39 share the same components and disassembly process? I keep finding more DIY on A/C For 3 series than I've seen for E39s. I found this excellent picture tutorial on E38:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/244196

But I'm guessing this V8 is too different from my I6...

Trying to find a thorough DIY for E39s, but it seems impossible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts