BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I turn the ac on, and whenever i press gas pedal, there is a noise like metal knocking together from under the hood.

The harder i press the gas pedal, the higher the noise frequency will be.

The air is cold, btw

Took my car to a repair shop (not dealer, since my warranty expired long time ago), the manager told me 'there is no way but to replace the compressor, it will take you about 1k dollars.'

Can any one help me on this before I pay them 1000 dollars for a RMFD compressor?

thanks a million~~

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great !!!

But do you have any idea what happened to my air conditioner?? I does make cold air though.......

Thanks!!

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
If the compressor is working, then it doesnt need to be replaced. The knocking noise Im not sure about, but I wouldnt just start replacing parts because some mechanic says so. Perhaps someone else here can give further insight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!

This Morning On My Way To Work, The Ac Was Knocking Now And Then, No Matter I Pressed The Gas Pedal Or Not...

Oh Man, Then I Turned The Ac Off, And Arrived At Office Soaked, And People Thought I Was Jogging To Work.... Ny Now Is 90 Degree...

Please Help~~~

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now the AC does not produce cold air while i drive at low speed when there is a lot traffic. If I ignore the knocking noise and accelerate to high speed, AC can make cold air again.

Is this sth wrong with the AC compressor itself???

Thanks!!!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
silverbimmer3 said:
now the AC does not produce cold air while i drive at low speed when there is a lot traffic. If I ignore the knocking noise and accelerate to high speed, AC can make cold air again.

Is this sth wrong with the AC compressor itself???

Thanks!!!
Sounds like the compressor clutch to me.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply~~

An auto shop engineer said i have to replace the whole compressor for $1000...

Can I replace the clutch only if that is the problem?

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gbird said:
ac unit not getiing any frost on it ac is warm untill I step on the gas
Did you ask any of your engineers? My auto shop said i need a new compressor for $1000. I hope it is just a clutch issue.......:dunno:

·
Registered
395 Posts
clutch assembly is part of the compressor. I don't believe you can replace just the clutch assembly. You'll need to remove the old compressor, install the new one. I'd recommend a pressure test and then evacuate the system prior to recharging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts