BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like an unusual question, here goes. The mount on my AC motor broke. One out of two screws will never be right. The belt is already off. Will it be okay to remove the motor all together?? It rattles like crazy at certain RPMs. It's been too cold to do anything about it, but it's starting to warm up. Can I safely remove the unit? I don't use AC during summer anyhow. Has anybody tried this??

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,148 Posts
You mean the compressor? Yes, you can take it off....but it's connected to the system by the hoses and electrical plug. If you want to be an eco-friendly responsible person, get the refrigerant removed by an HVAC shop and THEN take it off. If you want to be like a lot of us, just let the Freon out. There's probably darn little of it left in there anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the compressor? Yes, you can take it off....but it's connected to the system by the hoses and electrical plug. If you want to be an eco-friendly responsible person, get the refrigerant removed by an HVAC shop and THEN take it off. If you want to be like a lot of us, just let the Freon out. There's probably darn little of it left in there anyway.
Yes, that's it. The compressor. That's the correct term. I was just wondering if there was anything in the back of it, like a hole in the engine. :rofl:

Cool. Thanks for the advice. In my opinion it ether has to be replaced or removed. Think I'll go the removal way and look into the refrigerant removal. You're right, there's little left anyhow. The few times I used it it was like using the vent. Thanks again. Next warmish day that sucker is coming off. Can't stand the rattle!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts