Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cotton wrap around the air filter? Do I need to leave it on.
It is a pod filter with this weird cotton wrap.
Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows?
Well then it is safe to assume that it is not needed. I dont live in a high dusty area, and I think that the wrap restricts air flow anyway.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
There isn't a lot of traffic for the E84 X1 on this forum. So you might have to wait a few more hours to get a response.

My wife's '13 E84 is a 3.5 MSport so the filter cartridge might be different than the one on your X1. However, it is NOT wrapped with any additional covering. It's possible someone previously replaced the filter with an aftermarket piece OR thought that wrapping some cotton fabric around it would prevent debris from clogging the filter. Even if you're driving through a dessert the standard filter should be fine. Of course, for extreme duty use, change it more frequently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, all the replacements i see have this cotton crap on it.
Took it off and damn, feels like it is a lot more zippier. I come to the conclusion that the cotton wrap on the pod hinders airflow, maybe to get better gas milage, either way it is out of there.
Stupid design. Mine is the Msport 2l varient (non turbo).

·
Registered
316 Posts
I replaced mine myself last summer. Don't remember any "cotton wrap", either on the new one or the one removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts