BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
dont think it makes much of a difference.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It doesn't make a difference maybe a slightly different sound, and AutohausAZ is pretty cheap and sell all OEM parts; Mahle, Mann, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Years ago I used to have a 94 Taurus SHO, 5 speed. I did several back to back runs at a drag strip swapping out OEM for a K&N drop in filter and saw NO difference in times, trap speeds, etc. ZERO difference. NONE. This was later confirmed through runs on a chassis dyno as well. So, in my experience/tests, no difference in flow from same surface area.
There are many many many stories of oiled gauze filters (not just K&N) fouling the sensor in the MAF. Sometimes they can be cleaned, BUT frequently the ruin the MAF. Logically, it makes sense to me that an oiled filter could foul the sensor.
So, based on the fact that performance gain claims are dubious at best, and there seems to be an increase in failure risk (which wouldnt be covered under warranty, btw), it doesnt seem to be worth the risk. Stick with OEM filter, IMHO.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Avoid/Fail. The claimed HP, as stated, is not real. If indeed more flow occurs from less restriction then more dirt enters the combustion chamber. Several reports out there re: scored cylinder walls from dirt. I have not seen any oil analysis data which would be interesting with and without K&N.
I like Autohaus Arizona for German filters (Mann and Hengst). For long life oil filters, MB requires fleece NOT PAPER, not sure about BMW. AA has free shipping for orders over $50 so I throw in a few filters (oil, cabin, air) for all my cars depending on need.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Yup autohausaz just put in an order for some fresh filters for the 750 and x5..:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.